Nicki

Freedom of speech & Other stuff.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, if it has, kindly link it down in the comments. :P  (I rarely check the forum, and the search function is a bit weird with me)

Anyways, to the point:

How will the developers go about freedom of speech in this game? And by that I mean will there be limits to what you're allowed to openly say and share?
Because from my view, this game seeks to replicate the functions of a real society (Government, jobs, ) so everyone will make friends (Or at least acquaintances) and quite possibly surround themselves with like minded people.

I guess what I'm truly saying is, will Identity have a predetermined set of rules by the developers for the private servers/public to follow? Then from there can make their own laws and policies from it? 

I'm just curious to see if they'll just let the players decide their own rules and only intervene if it does get too serious.

And to my understanding, the developers are located in Canada, so will Canada's laws and policies affect the game's outcome? 

I hope I managed to get my questions across clearly, and I know this entire thing might sound stupid but please don't attack me, educate. :) 

3 hours ago, Nicki said:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, if it has, kindly link it down in the comments. :P  (I rarely check the forum, and the search function is a bit weird with me)

Anyways, to the point:

How will the developers go about freedom of speech in this game? And by that I mean will there be limits to what you're allowed to openly say and share?
Because from my view, this game seeks to replicate the functions of a real society (Government, jobs, ) so everyone will make friends (Or at least acquaintances) and quite possibly surround themselves with like minded people.

I guess what I'm truly saying is, will Identity have a predetermined set of rules by the developers for the private servers/public to follow? Then from there can make their own laws and policies from it? 

I'm just curious to see if they'll just let the players decide their own rules and only intervene if it does get too serious.

And to my understanding, the developers are located in Canada, so will Canada's laws and policies affect the game's outcome? 

I hope I managed to get my questions across clearly, and I know this entire thing might sound stupid but please don't attack me, educate. :) 

If you own your own server on Identity then you're able to change whatever you want. I believe the mayor is able to change laws/policies and such. For instance, like legalizing Marijuana. I'm a little clueless on what different laws/policies as I don't take part into the political side of the game... But I'm most definitely aware that you're able to change laws/policies as the mayor/governor. I hope this is the answer that you were looking for. :) 

4 hours ago, Nicki said:

Yeah, if you have a private server no developer pre-rules will be in effect on it and so they will only control public servers and not private ones. Public servers will likely have little to no rules e.g. just the basic rules of no hacking/ cheating/ glitching/ exploiting etc. They will likely have default laws which determine things which cannot be changed by the government.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:09 PM, Nicki said:

Anyways, to the point:

I actually think you may have brought up a very important point here.  I assume you mean freedom of speech as in talking about real life issues/politics etc..?  If so, I think there should be a limit to what you can say politically/racially in game as it can cause quite a big rift in the player base and make the game fail if people are abused because of their real life political view, race, religion etc..

Personally, I think this should be kept to in game politics only while any racial or religious slurs/negativity should be banned.  It's a game after all and the main point is to put all the negativity of the real world away while we all have fun.  The reason I say in game politics should be allowed is because of the fact that there is the political "career" you can have in game and when campaigning, opponents will usually try and make the other candidates look bad I the eyes of the public while making themselves look like the best option for the job.

Us gamers need to stick together and create a universe of tolerance and understanding to show the real world how it's done ;)

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?  It would be interesting to hear them (whether they are for OR against doesn't matter).

7 minutes ago, EnraBahn said:

I actually think you may have brought up a very important point here.  I assume you mean freedom of speech as in talking about real life issues/politics etc..?  If so, I think there should be a limit to what you can say politically/racially in game as it can cause quite a big rift in the player base and make the game fail if people are abused because of their real life political view, race, religion etc..

Personally, I think this should be kept to in game politics only while any racial or religious slurs/negativity should be banned.  It's a game after all and the main point is to put all the negativity of the real world away while we all have fun.  The reason I say in game politics should be allowed is because of the fact that there is the political "career" you can have in game and when campaigning, opponents will usually try and make the other candidates look bad I the eyes of the public while making themselves look like the best option for the job.

Us gamers need to stick together and create a universe of tolerance and understanding to show the real world how it's done ;)

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?  It would be interesting to hear them (whether they are for OR against doesn't matter).

considered part of USA, correct? so federal law should apply. in game government should only have state rights...

5 minutes ago, DadOfMad said:

considered part of USA, correct? so federal law should apply. in game government should only have state rights...

From what I've seen so far, the island state in Identity is led by a governor so that would be the role you are getting when elected for the term (several real days iirc). 

I'm not sure what you are referring to with the comment about USA.  Can you please clarify for me.  It's still early here in Australia so I'm probably missing something (wouldn't be the first time lol).

just pretty sure i read somewhere that the island location is supposed to be part of the usa, but im probably wrong.

Well if this gives you any idea I've already been silenced for pushing for hard fact and answers as to why the devs are unreachable. So to answer your question sure there will be freedom of speech, until you make the kings upset, then you'll be censored. 

1 hour ago, DadOfMad said:

just pretty sure i read somewhere that the island location is supposed to be part of the usa, but im probably wrong.

Yes each city is centred around different US city's like 1 of Identity's cities is like a New York, Atlanta and another city but the laws in game don't generally get put as the US federal laws or anything. There will likely be default laws which the governor cannot changed but then you can make laws which could be similar to anything really in reason obviously.

• Like 1

private or public servers try to keep in check with twitch tos (or for that that matter any live platform), you can get people in big trouble by breaking them (saying the N word for instance)

22 hours ago, DadOfMad said:

Oh, yes.  I remember seeing something about it being set on a fictional island south of America but still being part of America.  Plus, as LuckyDuck has mentioned, the cities in game are meant to be based on real cities in America.  I haven't really heard about what laws are going to be in  force though so that will be interesting to see.