Whitefeather

Idea to identify other players

Should you have to find out other player's names?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have to find out other player's names? No means they have their name tag above their head. Yes means in some way we have to acquire their name through socializing.

• Yes
    • No

I know this is a long shot, but hear me out. Now, almost every single game nowadays will have a players name tag above their head or something to identify them by. This isn't very realistic, and if you think of real life, there is no way to know who somebody is that you have never met. So why should that be any different for Identity? I think starting off, you shouldn't see any names above a players head. You should have to actually meet them and have them tell you their name, and at that point you can type a chat command, or maybe have a key binding to set their name. This will be a big social aspect of having to meet somebody new, and could also feed into realism by players giving you a false name, or not wanting to be identified. Let me know what you guys think. Like I said it's a long shot, but I think it could be cool. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Whitefeather
  • Like 2

The game should consist of FOUR different forms of identification:

1. Unknown
2. Nickname

3. First Name
4. Full Name
--------------------
1. The character remains unknown until the individual approaches and converses with the individual.

2. The character is capable of presenting the subject with a nickname in order to preserve one's Identity.

3. Usually, the average human being merely discloses their first name to strangers within the environment. Thus, the player should possess the ability to merely disclose their first name in order to preserve a large portion of their identity.

4. Finally, the player shall be capable of disclosing their full name to the subject by presenting the individual with a "business card" or any other form of identification.

It would encourage individuals to engage in full-scale conversations with other players for the purposes of attaining their identification. Imagine an "achievement" that involves attaining each and every single player's identity within the server titled as "IDENTIFIED".

P.S. A "right-click" button should list a social demand such as "disclosing one's nickname, first name, and full-name" to another character that is within close proximity of their character.

Edited by DLimit
  • Like 2

It is confirmed about you have to use a emote for you to be able to see someones name. The official servers will likely have the names above the heads but otherwise it will you perform a emote before knowing the persons name etc.

@LuckyDuck

Say you aren't on an official server, they have to do an emote or else you won't see their name? It would be cool to have to almost give them a nickname and such so they could fool cops or criminals and such if you had to trust them. Would you see their name all the time after they performed the emote?

Why not just have their names not show up until you fully interact with them. They'd have to grant permission for you to see their name (now you know them)

9 minutes ago, LylePyle said:

Why not just have their names not show up until you fully interact with them. They'd have to grant permission for you to see their name (now you know them)

That's kind of what I was trying to say. But if not that, then they tell you their name and you kind of just nickname them that. That way, they could tell different police officers different names and such to keep their identity hidden for example.

9 minutes ago, Whitefeather said:

That's kind of what I was trying to say. But if not that, then they tell you their name and you kind of just nickname them that. That way, they could tell different police officers different names and such to keep their identity hidden for example.

Sort of like a custom name. For instance you'd nickname me "Hunting Guy" I got you.

• Like 1

You will not see their names, before you greeted them, and there are some options on private server to mess around with that option. I can not say how it will be to 100% yet, still under devellopment :)

7 hours ago, Whitefeather said:

@LuckyDuck

Say you aren't on an official server, they have to do an emote or else you won't see their name? It would be cool to have to almost give them a nickname and such so they could fool cops or criminals and such if you had to trust them. Would you see their name all the time after they performed the emote?

Private server owners will be able to change this sort of thing, I don't know to what extent etc though.