TheCobra

How does jailtime work?

10 hours ago, NimiTheLegend said:

@157C 

Mate are u mental speeding= 20 minutes in jail

that should never happen 5 hours in jail bruh your strict like calm down.

You clearly didn't read my big post. In a JAIL cell, the short termed stuff, 15 minutes is totally acceptable. But in PRISON, that's where all the major criminals go. Murder/Armed Robbery/etc.., for (what I would hope) a few hours depending on the crime. Don't put words in my mouth.

23 hours ago, Motown said:

Also keep in mind that the player doesn't have to leave prison when their time has expired. They can stay and hang out if they want too!

loool, I thought it would be based on de USA not on some Scandinavian country xD, because I don't think there are lot's prisoners in the USA who would like to stay voluntarily.

Edited by Rew_Mceo

14 hours ago, 157C said:

You clearly didn't read my big post. In a JAIL cell, the short termed stuff, 15 minutes is totally acceptable. But in PRISON, that's where all the major criminals go. Murder/Armed Robbery/etc.., for (what I would hope) a few hours depending on the crime. Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm sorry i read wrong don't hate me

as i wanna join the police force aswell

On 10/08/2016 at 3:47 PM, Motown said:

They can stay and hang out if they want too!

What....so civs can go in prison and hang out? Rly ...

On 8/11/2016 at 10:14 AM, Rew_Mceo said:

loool, I thought it would be based on de USA not on some Scandinavian country xD, because I don't think there are lot's prisoners in the USA who would like to stay voluntarily.

This is an example of when we decide to go for game-play over realism. Prison is a big part of Identity; we've created a whole sort of mini-game surrounding prison life and we expect that while most people will want to get back into the world as soon as possible, some people may wish to make a life for themselves in prison.

On 8/11/2016 at 6:10 PM, shadowkiller said:

What....so civs can go in prison and hang out? Rly ...

You can't just enter the prison, you are sent there after being arrested for a significant crime. You will also not go to prison for small things like speeding and such, as there are small jails.

We're referring only to the release from prison here.

• Like 7

Since jail is a game in itself, might aswell make it a few hours so you get abit more time to shank people if you committed the right crimes to exceed 45 minutes. Also if players want to stay in for longer than 2 hours for instance, they could just add more time onto their sentence by shanking another inmate or guard or something. 

Edited by Narc

On 1/1/2016 at 8:31 AM, Atmosphere said:

It's a video game, 45 minutes is long enough. People play to have fun and being a criminal is hella fun compared to regular civilian life. Shouldn't punish people for enjoying a game to it's full potential.

Yea and people gonna enjoy trolling and killing other people, ruining their experience. You should try to embrace everybody experience with the game, not some people.

Edited by RaidDavid18

On 1/26/2016 at 5:49 AM, Johnny said:

If I land in jail my influence will turn it into a mansion for me where I can run my crime family from the inside.

Sure,

11 hours ago, RaidDavid18 said:

Yea and people gonna enjoy trolling and killing other people, ruining their experience. You should try to embrace everybody experience with the game, not some people.

Can you like, stop being mentally disabled? Due to the trolls you want to put everyone in prison for that long? "Embrace everybody, not just some", way to contradict yourself, genius.

Edited by Atmosphere

On 1/1/2016 at 11:00 PM, Motown said:

Currently, the maximum jail sentence is 45 minutes. That could change! It's a simple value that we can set and modify on the fly, and will do so based on future testing!

First off, there are two areas you may be placed in when arrested.  Jail, for minor crimes lasting no more than 5-10 minutes where you will simply have to sit around in your cell, harassing the neighboring inmates until released, and Prison, for major crimes!

The prison feature is like playing an entirely new game in itself! There is shanking, gangs, territory control, prison breaks, or even just social areas for those who don't want get their hands dirty! Prisoners can request a trial, and if accepted, will be sent to a court house where a jury of players will determine your fate. If acquitted, you will be released on the spot, where you can continue your life on the outside, but if found guilty, you will have to spend the remainder of your time in prison, and can choose to leave at your own will once your sentence expires.

I personally think jail should be a maximum of 2/3 even maybe 4 hours. It'll teach people a lesson

I think major crime should be more than a few hours.  Perhaps 6-12 hours of in-game servers time. 

If I open my own RL servers, prison time may be hours to days of time served.  How else is the criminal underworld going to capitalize on your mistake, if they have no time to fill the gap? 

Plus it validates having court, or attempting a break, or trying to swindle guards and fellow inmates. 

I think realism should take focus over base entertainment. This is a role play of reality, Prison isn't fun, it is an institution for those that cannot fit to the construct of society. The RP should incorporate the danger of the criminal life not hollywoodize it. 

Just my opinion tho

Edited by The1TheOnlyGonzo
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2016 at 6:00 PM, Motown said:

Currently, the maximum jail sentence is 45 minutes. That could change! It's a simple value that we can set and modify on the fly, and will do so based on future testing!

First off, there are two areas you may be placed in when arrested.  Jail, for minor crimes lasting no more than 5-10 minutes where you will simply have to sit around in your cell, harassing the neighboring inmates until released, and Prison, for major crimes!

The prison feature is like playing an entirely new game in itself! There is shanking, gangs, territory control, prison breaks, or even just social areas for those who don't want get their hands dirty! Prisoners can request a trial, and if accepted, will be sent to a court house where a jury of players will determine your fate. If acquitted, you will be released on the spot, where you can continue your life on the outside, but if found guilty, you will have to spend the remainder of your time in prison, and can choose to leave at your own will once your sentence expires.

On 1/2/2016 at 8:17 PM, Undead said:

I feel as if jail time should be longer than 45mins just because it has to be long enough to stop encouragement of everyone going into crime. Far too many people will want the quick buck and if the jail time is not long enough people will not worry about it as much and are much more likely to commit crime. However if they commit a crime and are in jail for a couple of hours they will be less tempted to try and make quick money. You dont want everyone to go into crime because then it will be just like ArmA 3 Life 

On 1/2/2016 at 10:12 PM, 157C said:

So this of course is entirely my opinion, and like all opinions, is subject to change. This is what I think it should be like in the prison. First off, I entirely agree with most people here, 45 minutes is WAY to short. As Undead said, you don't want to encourage people to enter crime, and, if you're going to have a whole acquit court system, that could take enough time in itself, so you want to have a sentence long enough that people are actually able and want to be acquitted.

For me, the Maximum time a player should be in jail is 3 Hours, with no offline time included. Let me tell you why. 3 In-Game no offline hours is a LONG time, and it also is enough time to encourage people not to get into crime, as well as is a long enough time to inspire people to be acquitted. I also believe that, in order to not spam the system, and implying the maximum time is 3 hours, then the time you need to have in your sentence must be over 1 and a half hours in order to a request an acquittal.

Now we've also come to a bit of an obstacle, you've mentioned Jail Breaks, now although we don't want to inspire criminals to try to break out of jail, we do want to give them enough time to maybe try, and this should obviously be very difficult, and doing so can add some serious time to your sentence, I was thinking 1-2 more hours, thus making getting caught a real punishment, which warns prisoners not to try it. But anyways, if Jail Breaks want to actually be a thing, you might want to add 2 Hours to the maximum time, making 4-5.

Now for Jail Time, the 5-10 minutes cell separate from Prison, should be at max 15 minutes, maybe 20, reason being is all you're doing in a regular jail cell is waiting around and possibly talk to people, that's it, so unless they make some activities in a jail cell, it should be at max 15-20 minutes. And the crimes that put you in the jail cell should be incredibly minor, like speeding for example.

One last thing. The form of punishment in prison. Ex: Killing/Attacking a Prisoner, Killing/Attacking a Guard, Contraband, building an escape tunnel (If possible as well as could be tied to Jail Breaks) and we've already discussed Jail Breaks as a whole. Now obviously each crime is different, some more serious than than the other. Please note that killing is more serious than just plain attacking, thus getting more punishment time. The most serious crime would be Killing a Guard, least serious being Contraband. Now punishment for these could go many different ways, you could have time added onto your sentence, which would be spent just staying in regular prison as normal. Another (personally my favorite) would be adding time onto your sentence, except the time that was added would be spent in a Solitude System (which I hope the game will have) and after that time is spent, the rest of your sentence would be spent as normal. Now for Contraband you could have it go 2 ways: 1. No matter the contraband, you get X amount of time added to sentence. Or 2. Different types of contraband give different X amounts of time. Weapons being #1 and Drugs being #2 for example. It all would be a very nice system to have.

Thanks for reading and I hope you take my ideas into consideration, please remember this is all my opinion and some people may have a better idea than mine, so make sure you read everything! Thanks!

I like @157C approach, & I agree that 45 minutes is way too short. Also, as I've said on another post, if you've got people just running around guns a blazing causing havoc, politicians & police need to step in & do something about it. Those people need day or week long bans, "in prison", with no option of break outs. Just my opinion. You CAN NOT allow these types of crimes to happen in the type of game that you're hoping to accomplish. I'll throw my name in the hat for whatever political seat is needed to be sure that these laws are fierce for those that disrupt our lifestyle.

• Like 1

@Acetime

I do believe it was already mentioned that server owners can modify many aspects of the game, Jail time included. As far as I know, when talking about certain features that are decided server-side, are referring to Identity's official servers.

Okay guys, the devs stated many times this game is cops and robbers at its heart.  You are concerned with people being encouraged to be criminals. You want strong stern punishment to prevent it.    This game is cops and robbers first, with nice fun options on the side.  3 hours in jail? 24 hours in jail?  No that is ridiculous.  Think of it as a wheel, cops need crime, the lawyers and civil servant players need crime.  If every player that wants to be a criminal is stuck in jail for anything over an hour guess who is having fun?  The prisoners with their riot minigames.  The cops have nothing to do neither do the lawyers.  

Furthermore people like me who works full time and goes to school full time may only have 1 or 2 days a week they can play.  So if I get a prison sentence of 24 hours on my only day off or even 3 hours, I will quit this game so fast it's not even funny.  My little free time is too valuable to waste because a few players want to discourage crime in a (cops and robbers) focused game.  That's ridiculous

2 hours ago, fedris89 said:

Okay guys, the devs stated many times this game is cops and robbers at its heart.  You are concerned with people being encouraged to be criminals. You want strong stern punishment to prevent it.    This game is cops and robbers first, with nice fun options on the side.  3 hours in jail? 24 hours in jail?  No that is ridiculous.  Think of it as a wheel, cops need crime, the lawyers and civil servant players need crime.  If every player that wants to be a criminal is stuck in jail for anything over an hour guess who is having fun?  The prisoners with their riot minigames.  The cops have nothing to do neither do the lawyers.  

Furthermore people like me who works full time and goes to school full time may only have 1 or 2 days a week they can play.  So if I get a prison sentence of 24 hours on my only day off or even 3 hours, I will quit this game so fast it's not even funny.  My little free time is too valuable to waste because a few players want to discourage crime in a (cops and robbers) focused game.  That's ridiculous

I am not saying longer sentencing to discourage crime, I am saying longer sentencing for more realistic jail time.  

IMO if you are will to do a major crime, you must be willing to accept the longer jail time that will come with it.  

There is a prison system in the game. So theres a whole community in prison. It would be fun. Sentencing, from what I've seen, will depend on the crime. There's jail then theres prison. Assuming you're talking about jail, you're looking at no more than an hour of jail time. This will vary from 5 to 45 minutes in jail for petty crimes. Prison is another thing. You commit murder, armed robbery etc, you're looking at prison time for a matter of hours. If you read through the forums a lot is uncertain but from what I've read, thats the direct they're headed in.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:27 AM, fedris89 said:

While I understand where you're coming from, and you are right to some degree, I disagree. While yes, this game is cops and robbers, there's a huge community that's not or doesn't want to be apart of that, they want to roleplay, which is totally understandable, and it's what the game presents itself to be. The prison system is going to be a fun system, according to the developers, so hopefully they make it so that being in prison is not a chore (Although it should be a little bit of both to encourage being a good citizen). I still stand by my large post I made a while back, and if you haven't seen that I recommend reading it, I cover just about everything there is to talk about relating to the prison system. So again, I understand your point, and the wheel analogy is a good one, but it just doesn't work where a large part of the community isn't going to be apart of the cops and robbers part.

Edited by 157C
Grammar

7 minutes ago, The_Joker said:

I'd love if eventually it would be a week at most , especially with the fun activities. 

A WEEK???? I don't care how fun prison could be, I'd say 95% of the community would not want to be in prison for not even close to that long!

8 minutes ago, 157C said:

A WEEK???? I don't care how fun prison could be, I'd say 95% of the community would not want to be in prison for not even close to that long!

I don't know...I just feel if I sell crystal meth, kill 5 men and blow up a home for the elderly....I get out in 45 mins? Hey but thats why where here to share opinions. 

11 minutes ago, The_Joker said:

I don't know...I just feel if I sell crystal meth, kill 5 men and blow up a home for the elderly....I get out in 45 mins? Hey but thats why where here to share opinions. 

I never said you should get out in 45 minutes. My point was that a week is just way to long for almost all of the community, it would ruin the fun for most of us. You should go back to the first 1-2 pages of this forum post and read most of our opinions. Most of us don't want 45 minutes, we want a few hours, that's all.

On 12/9/2016 at 11:27 AM, fedris89 said:

Okay guys, the devs stated many times this game is cops and robbers at its heart.

Where? I've never seen that. As far as I understand it's a game about life.