Sign in to follow this  
SupremeLeader

Trademark Clothing

As someone who is thinking about opening a clothing line, I'm scared that another person is just going to copy my design and release his own crappy T-shirts for half the price.

Is there anyway we can "trademark" clothing logos, and other brands?

Thanks!

Edited by SupremeLeader

38 minutes ago, SupremeLeader said:

As someone who is thinking about opening a clothing line, I'm scared that another person is just going to copy my design and release his own crappy T-shirts for half the price.

Is there anyway we can "patent" clothing logos, and other brands?

Thanks!

You get to design them in game and well I doubt you can stop people trying to copy.

8 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

You get to design them in game and well I doubt you can stop people trying to copy.

I guess I can just send the Mafia after them or something.

Thanks for the answer.

Well, first things first, you don't patent clothing, you trademark it. Patents are for inventions. Trademarks are for artistic designs, names, logos etc.

Second, you could RP it out, take them to court (with lawyers) and depend on the jury's ruling have a cop issue them a ticket (fine) or jail time.

• Like 5

It would be interesting for individuals to defend their company with the argument that their "copied" clothes consists of a minor difference between the original product. However, society would begin to insult individuals for possessing the "knock-off" version of a product while OTHER members of society would praise the individual for purchasing the cheaper product in order to conserve their wealth.

"Pop-Culture" Individual: "Wow, this man bought a pair of Mikeys... the fake version of Nike".

Economic individual: "It was an ethical idea for the individual to purchase the pair of Mikeys considering that it is $200 dollars cheaper than the pair of Nikes".

6 minutes ago, DLimit said:

It would be interesting for individuals to defend their company with the argument that their "copied" clothes consists of a minor difference between the original product. However, society would begin to insult individuals for possessing the "knock-off" version of a product while OTHER members of society would praise the individual for purchasing the cheaper product in order to conserve their wealth.

"Pop-Culture" Individual: "Wow, this man bought a pair of Mikeys... the fake version of Nike".

Economic individual: "It was an ethical idea for the individual to purchase the pair of Mikeys considering that it is $200 dollars cheaper than the pair of Nikes".

That is actually a very interesting idea, however, if the differences are purely aesthetic (as the items are virtual) and the aesthetic difference is only a 1-pixel difference (or 1 hex value color shift) there isn't really a reason to buy the original. However, I think in that case you can take them to court.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, uncannierlink said:

That is actually a very interesting idea, however, if the differences are purely aesthetic (as the items are virtual) and the aesthetic difference is only a 1-pixel difference (or 1 hex value color shift) there isn't really a reason to buy the original. However, I think in that case you can take them to court.

Indeed, the game should limit players from producing a product that is identical to another product by 75% or 80% in order to imitate the idea without infringing any copyright Laws.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Indeed, the game should limit players from producing a product that is identical to another product by 75% or 80% in order to imitate the idea without infringing any copyright Laws.

See, this is something where people sell Identity short. You don't need an in-game algorithm to check whether clothing is too close to another. You can literally sue another player, summon him to court, and have a jury decide that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, uncannierlink said:

Well, first things first, you don't patent clothing, you trademark it. Patents are for inventions. Trademarks are for artistic designs, names, logos etc.

Second, you could RP it out, take them to court (with lawyers) and depend on the jury's ruling have a cop issue them a ticket (fine) or jail time.

Oh, yeah shoot I got those terms mixed up. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SupremeLeader said:

Oh, yeah shoot I got those terms mixed up. 

Thanks!

No problem. Always glad to help.

I think for Asylums sake, real trademarked logos/brands shouldn't be allowed to be brought into game, just out of the concern of a lawsuit being thrown at Asylum, which would probably cripple them. 

The idea of creating a brand, and then suing another for trademark infringement in game is really cool tho! I am curious what "trademark and patent laws" will be established in game to avoid infringement of character artistic or creative rights.

• Like 1

I was actually just thinking about this exact same thing, I want to design funny T-shirts.  And what's to stop someone else from just taking my designs and selling it like their own? We are gonna have lawyers, judges, and juries right...? So why not have trademarks, so we can sue if someone tries to use our stuff and doesn't have the rights to. To not give us the proper royalties for our designs just takes away alot of motivation to really put our heart into something if people can just steal it.

That could also open up the economy to the Identity "Black Market", maybe we can come up with a better name. I think this will reinforce people's faith that they will be the ones to legally profit from their idea's, only giving us more incentive to really put our hearts into making something personally unique. I think it should be an IN-GAME tradmarking system ONLY. That would in NO way affect Asylum in the real world. Criminals making fake paintings, and other items to try and swindle people, Or bootleg clothes lol. The possibilities are endless

Edited by JohnNYBlaze
  • Like 1