OmegoGanla

can you explain why we cant put 10,000 players in one server?

I would like to make 2 points here.

1. The reason Identity could not put 10,000 players on one server, but blizzard can is because of money. That type of computational infrastructure is incredibly expensive as you need a very power computer (or server synonyms in this case) to process all of the inputs of every player connected, relay those inputs to all nearby players, process a response for the AI, etc. Blizzard can afford such a machine, Asylum cannot.

2. Identity actually can support 10,000 players on a server. This is due to the partnership with Improbable and the spatial OS technology. Spacial OS essentially divides up all that computing into smaller tasks that many computers can then work on, allowing the use of much more, much cheaper machines, to do the computational processing. If you want to learn more about how spatial OS works, go to their website, Improbable.io. They have a really nice graphic that explains it in layman's terms.

• Like 1

One thing though is we have upwards of 12k ppl pledging and the devs have to make sure that they can all get on else ppl will feel like they got ripped off

12 hours ago, Luck said:

One thing though is we have upwards of 12k ppl pledging and the devs have to make sure that they can all get on else ppl will feel like they got ripped off

Uhh, I doubt all 12k people will play at the same time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, uncannierlink said:

Uhh, I doubt all 12k people will play at the same time.

Well there is such a thing as multiple servers. So if a server can hold 5000 ppl and u have 3 of them ur good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luck said:

Well there is such a thing as multiple servers. So if a server can hold 5000 ppl and u have 3 of them ur good

if its amazing in the beginning they probaly need 10 atleast

Guy's it is highly unlikely that they will even go as high as 1 thousand even if they can. They want the player base in one server not be over crowded but decent enough that you could potentially see a traffic jam on the streets/ roads. They don't have to choose to have over 300 players but they possibly will test and see what is best to have as a server population.

8 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Guy's it is highly unlikely that they will even go as high as 1 thousand even if they can. They want the player base in one server not be over crowded but decent enough that you could potentially see a traffic jam on the streets/ roads. They don't have to choose to have over 300 players but they possibly will test and see what is best to have as a server population.

Also taking into account map size, real estate, the economies of the servers. I'm just want to make it clear though, the technology is being implemented to allow as many people in one server as they want.

• Like 1

Even if its possible, you are comparing it to World of Warcraft. WoW interacts with people and objects differently. Its an RPG. Most people play identitiity to interact with others, it would be hard to make a living in game without any interaction at all (but not impossible). In WoW you can just solo yourself. Its a completley different game. identitiy is about interacting with others, if there was 10,000 people allowed, would you really want like 50 people crowding a room, mics, and all? It would be fun, it would be impossible to interact with others how you'd like. It would be chaos, not enough control, this is a heavily player to player interactive game. 

You dont NEED to interact with anyone in RPGs. In Identitiy, you may have to if you dont want to be stuck in your apartment by yourself.
10,000 people translates to 20-50 people crowding a room, talking at once, chaotic, trolling, running people over, there may be an instance where one group, like police, are stronger than others and can easily just troll around.

10,000 people would be chaotic for identitiy and not desirable at all

There will be different servers (more than one) to spread 12k+ people amongst all worlds.

Edited by Kattycake

27 minutes ago, Kattycake said:

Even if its possible, you are comparing it to World of Warcraft. WoW interacts with people and objects differently. Its an RPG. Most people play identitiity to interact with others, it would be hard to make a living in game without any interaction at all (but not impossible). In WoW you can just solo yourself. Its a completley different game. identitiy is about interacting with others, if there was 10,000 people allowed, would you really want like 50 people crowding a room, mics, and all? It would be fun, it would be impossible to interact with others how you'd like. It would be chaos, not enough control, this is a heavily player to player interactive game. 

You dont NEED to interact with anyone in RPGs. In Identitiy, you may have to if you dont want to be stuck in your apartment by yourself.
10,000 people translates to 20-50 people crowding a room, talking at once, chaotic, trolling, running people over, there may be an instance where one group, like police, are stronger than others and can easily just troll around.

10,000 people would be chaotic for identitiy and not desirable at all

There will be different servers (more than one) to spread 12k+ people amongst all worlds.

There should be 3k a server, looking at the map size.

I understand that it will be chaotic if the mike system works as in gta, where one server, and all can hear you regardless where you are, but  (and I dont know if the devs made it that way, but would be logic),  if you talk in to the mike on the server, then its the people around you in a limited radius that can hear you. (just like in real life) if all can hear what all are saying on a server with 1000 players (or more) then noone can understand anything, and that would not make any sense. If you want to talk to a friend and that friend are on the other side of the server, then call the person through youre ingame phone.

If it will be 1000 or 3000 players on a server, its really up to Asulum to figure out, what the servers can manage without lag, and area wise, housing wise etc.

Can anyone name one game where there are 1000 players interacting with each other on same server session. - Because I cant think of anyone.

21 minutes ago, Turaxis said:

I understand that it will be chaotic if the mike system works as in gta, where one server, and all can hear you regardless where you are, but  (and I dont know if the devs made it that way, but would be logic),  if you talk in to the mike on the server, then its the people around you in a limited radius that can hear you. (just like in real life) if all can hear what all are saying on a server with 1000 players (or more) then noone can understand anything, and that would not make any sense. If you want to talk to a friend and that friend are on the other side of the server, then call the person through youre ingame phone.

The VOIP chat is based on distance and so you will need to use a microphone (IN game) to enhance the volume and so a bigger distance of people can hear you. That is already confirmed. You need a "Mobile" to talk at long distances via that phone like you said. The devs likly won't have even 1k players per server and they don't have to even though they could do it.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:35 PM, JamesLuck01 said:

You wouldn't see a traffic jam with 300 players. If they want it to be realistic I think 1 thousand players is a fair number, keep in mind they said they are expanding the map.

Hello I'm really a fan of computers and the internet so here is a more detailed explanation I'm drunk at the moment so forgive me some mistakes. I noticed while reading a second and third time through my comment that I always have spelling mistakes.

So you should know that in the digital life anything consists of 1's and 0's. Voltage high and low. For me it's fucking fascinating how we send and receive data through the internet. It's not trivial! Some fucking genius invented this long time ago and it still works. Even with all this tons of smartphones connecting. They couldn't possibly think of smartphones when inventing it but man ... it still works with all this devices. Incredible. But ok ... im drunk sorry.

So this is what helpmed during my studies.

So after you watchted this at least twice try to follow my thoughts. We have a server with one single "Scott CPU". OK? Next a player connects via TCP/IP. Damn this gets pretty difficult. I'm going too deep into this so let's keep things simple.

A player connects. That player moves. The server has to calculate the new location of that player and send it back to him. Why does he send it back? We'll come to this soon. So all of this needs calculation. Let's say the server needs 1 second to calculate the new location of a player when he moves.

Now as you asked for 1 second * 10.000 players. That are 10.000 seconds only for one move that a server has to calculate. Why does he need to send it back? Because if player 0 out of 10.000 moves another players lets say player 1 also needs to know about that movement. Because it's an interactive game. You see people move and they see you move. You are in america and they might be in sweden. But still when you press a button forward that other players also sees you moving. Isn't that fascinating?

Anyways. Let's say that 10.000 players move 5 * a second because they keep walking all the time. That are 50.000 seconds (or 14 hours) just to be sure that when you press the forward key the player for sweden or germany or mexico or whatever fucking country that is currently on the same server as you knows that you did press that button.

So now let's say that a player can drive around with a car, shoot around, buy things, die, ... , bla bla bla bla. Do you start to understand?

Fortunalty we have CPU's that can to 3.000.000.0000 calculations each second so instead of 14 years we only need 1/14 seconds. That is so cool! :)

But even that 3.000.000.000 calcualtions are too much when we have too many players trying to do too many things.

I hope it might have been helpful. I tried by best.

And here is another source where you can learn more about why 10.000 players would be difficult on one server:

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-science/internet-intro

Edited by Dscheksn
Added khan academy link