DrFelixPhD

Identity Dev Blog Update

Hey all,

The Asylum Team sent this email out to all of their newsletter subscribers, discussing progress with the game:

What a crazy time for the Identity development team over here at Asylum! We've been running all over the place for conferences and expos this month, including both GDC and PAX East, where we met all sorts of new talent and potential technology partners. We've unfortunately had to push back the release of the Town Square module from our original Q1 2017 release with all of the big developments here, but most systems are in place and it's not far off!

The biggest and most exciting news we're officially announcing today is a new partnership with Improbable, the creators of SpatialOS! The Identity team has been testing the waters with SpatialOS for a couple of months now and we're incredibly excited about what it's going to mean for Identity. Identity can now be what we all hoped it would be, a true MMORPG in scale.

SpatialOS is going to power Identity behind the scenes, allowing absolutely enormous scale for our world and the people playing in it. While we had originally hoped to be able to get 300 people into our servers with decent performance, with just a tiny bit more effort we're going to be able to expand that as far as the game needs. Instead of 300 players in a single server, we could now potentially have thousands. The size of our servers are now going to be set based on what we feel is ideal for a fun and immersive environment and we're not limited technically like we were expecting in the past.

It opens more doors than simply the number of players on a server, too. With these changes we can now afford to have a more dynamic and interactive world. We've gained some freedom in manipulating the world and we can create features which we never imagined possible in a game of Identity's scale.

This is all extremely exciting for the team. This technology is a scope-changer and Identity is going to be far better for it. Not only will our world grow, not only will the population be denser, but you'll even be able to leave your mark in many new ways.

We're working and expanding at an incredible rate. All key gameplay features for Town Square are now functional as we add polish and work to support SpatialOS in Identity.

The development team has expanded with terrific new talent: Antoine joins Identity's 3D art team, Cody comes on board as a new systems and gameplay programmer and Liam comes in as our first dedicated web developer. Antoine and Cody both bring experience in their field to hasten development for Town Square and Identity as a whole. Liam's talents mean exciting new features on our website will be popping up soon. We've had plenty planned for our website for some time but haven't had the resources to bring these to you, until now.

-- John VanderZwet

I'm pretty gutted about the delay, obviously, but it sounds like the devs are once again making progess - can't wait to see the results.

Felix

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dimin69 said:

only thing i miss is a posible new date :(

They don't like giving specifics because they don't want to not hit a target and so no specific date means no specific target to have done by! This is good because then they won't feel they need to rush and instead can work at the steady pace already have.

@DrFelixPhD You have forgot a part of the update.... it was under John's name quoted below:

Identity's development is going great thanks to the support of people like you, but systems like these take a lot of manpower and resources to create. Identity has an awesome community behind it, but when more people know about what we're creating and our budget grows from pledges, we can not only work faster but we can do more, too.

If you're as excited to play Identity as we are making it, help spread the word. The gaming industry has needed a game like Identity for too long; let's make it great together!

Edited by JamesLuck01
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

They don't like giving specifics because they don't want to not hit a target and so no specific date means no specific target to have done by! This is good because then they won't feel they need to rush and instead can work at the steady pace already have.

i dont need a specific date , but it would be nice to know if its gonna take a few weeks (what i heard psisyn say on twitch) or a few months. 

Hyped for the spatial OS partnership. That's going to be huge. We could literally have 1000 player servers.

Edited by uncannierlink
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, dimin69 said:

i dont need a specific date , but it would be nice to know if its gonna take a few weeks (what i heard psisyn say on twitch) or a few months. 

I do think, that they are not more than a month delayed and more like a few weeks as the events and stuff was likely over a period 2 to 3 weeks time and so I estimate 2 weeks or 3 weeks max on the delay as like they said, they hired more staff and also are not far off on completing the module.

• Like 2

On 24/03/2017 at 7:17 PM, DrFelixPhD said:

It opens more doors than simply the number of players on a server, too. With these changes we can now afford to have a more dynamic and interactive world. We've gained some freedom in manipulating the world and we can create features which we never imagined possible in a game of Identity's scale.

This is all extremely exciting for the team. This technology is a scope-changer and Identity is going to be far better for it. Not only will our world grow, not only will the population be denser, but you'll even be able to leave your mark in many new ways.

This means that now we can build, right? =)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Not necessarily... 

that was not a statement but a opinion :)

Edited by dimin69

5 minutes ago, dimin69 said:

that was not a statement but a opinion :)

I didn't even quote the thing it shows I quoted like what... xD  I quoted the thing below and it did your thing. Sorry about that.

23 minutes ago, Trustvainer said:

This means that now we can build, right? =)

• Like 1