RabidBedlam

Who is Interested in written ( text based) role play ?

Hello,

I have been involved in a number of written role play communities. Mostly on Second Life, but also on boards and some on games like SWTOR and WOW. I love to right and feel that the story can be best communicated in the written word. Well at least depth of story. For that reason, and because my nunnery does not allow me to voice chat I would be interested in playing in a paragraph role play server. My wondering is how many other people would be interested in this type of roleplay ? If we get a large turn out maybe we could start some pre planning. Anyhow, thank you for your time.

6 minutes ago, RabidBedlam said:

Hello,

I have been involved in a number of written role play communities. Mostly on Second Life, but also on boards and some on games like SWTOR and WOW. I love to right and feel that the story can be best communicated in the written word. Well at least depth of story. For that reason, and because my nunnery does not allow me to voice chat I would be interested in playing in a paragraph role play server. My wondering is how many other people would be interested in this type of roleplay ? If we get a large turn out maybe we could start some pre planning. Anyhow, thank you for your time.

Isn't that just called a forum RP?

No, a Forum is in the forum. Text based rp is in chat time. Someone posts then you reply to it Usually using a lot of vivid description.

9 minutes ago, RabidBedlam said:

No, a Forum is in the forum. Text based rp is in chat time. Someone posts then you reply to it Usually using a lot of vivid description.

It's not really gonna be easy considering the only real way to communicate through text is via phone. They're working hard to keep in Voice Communication to avoid breaks of immersion. 

It is an interesting idea. But personally, I feel it's getting away from the core ideas of identity being immersive and social and being able to talk to other citizens is very important. I'd love to see books in game though and people able to write them or comics that would be awesome.

• Like 1

For people who haven't RP'd, as the OP spoke of, I can see how one would think it would seem to break immersion. IMO, having voice only breaks immersion, since they're are no voice changing abilities in this game. For RP'ers, you can be anything and describe yourself and be that character you wish to be through writing it in text-based chat. With voice only, if I'm some big, burly dude and then I speak with some girly voice, THAT breaks immersion...completely. 

As an RP'er, I won't be RP'ing on this game unless they A) include voice changing (even if it would mean allowing MODS to do so) or B) having optional access to a text-based chat for the sole purpose of Roleplay.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shay888 said:

For people who haven't RP'd, as the OP spoke of, I can see how one would think it would seem to break immersion. IMO, having voice only breaks immersion, since they're are no voice changing abilities in this game. For RP'ers, you can be anything and describe yourself and be that character you wish to be through writing it in text-based chat. With voice only, if I'm some big, burly dude and then I speak with some girly voice, THAT breaks immersion...completely. 

As an RP'er, I won't be RP'ing on this game unless they A) include voice changing (even if it would mean allowing MODS to do so) or B) having optional access to a text-based chat for the sole purpose of Roleplay.

I think there are quite a few people who feel like you do Shay so I would like to gage interest of people willing to be part of a written word server. I also know the level of immersion that the written (well typed) word brings and I hope it could be accommodated in this game. Please, if you are a written roleplayer would you please come forward to support a written server.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shay888 said:

Voice changing is possible, though it requires some technical setup, you can do it for any game.

• Like 1

This thread is losing focus. I am trying to find out how many people would be interested in a written chat role play server ? That is all. Thank you.

17 minutes ago, RabidBedlam said:

This thread is losing focus. I am trying to find out how many people would be interested in a written chat role play server ? That is all. Thank you.

There isn't a way to do it really. They're trying to eliminate that all together. Voice communication is going to outway that. You'll only really use text communication through computers or phones.

Can I get a backup of some sort @JamesLuck01 

I need some fact checking

Edited by Arky

Hello O'le chap and Welcome to the identity community!

1. There is a text option

2. Official servers will all be mainly mic but text is optional. 

3. Private servers however could be made text only!

What do you look forward to most about Identity? 

What are your goals in Identity?

Please read the 2 FAQ's which are linked in my signature.

Please feel free to use the resources on this forum/ website to gather information on the game.

If you have not found something within the resources, please don't hesitate to ask as everyone here is happy to help!

Cheerio!

Edited 31 January by JamesLuck01

FAQ - Read Carefully before posting.

FAQ Extended - Read Carefully before posting.

If I have answered a question or been helpful, please feel free to leave a like! 

Feel Free to join my Teamspeak server! KYServers.on.vg

Here is my Site to get Whitelisted!

If your looking for a Hardcore/ Serious server: (these are my plans below.)

Edited by RabidBedlam

I would be interested in a text/written word more so than voice. A well written role-play leave so much more to the imagination. When using voice, accents or just tones in general, IMO, can totally throw off a scene. I have something pictured in my mind then hear the voice, it doesn't mesh with my ideas and to me, that is hard to overcome. 

33 minutes ago, Arky said:

There isn't a way to do it really. They're trying to eliminate that all together. Voice communication is going to outway that. You'll only really use text communication through computers or phones.

Can I get a backup of some sort @JamesLuck01 

I need some fact checking

I can't agree on you, there will be some text and private servers can most likely disable voice chat altogether! If you notice what is said right under your comment to the guy. I already told him the facts of what the game will contain and text chat will be there. It will be a very simple chat but they are not eliminating it altogether because they know there will be many people out there with no mic or just don't like using one.

Voice communication will outway text yes but private servers will likely change that and could make it text only. Official servers will likely make government jobs voice only but that is not official or even known yet but possible for it to happen. 

The reason for voice communication to outway everything else is because If for instance I was pointing a gun at you and you were a cop, you have no mic and so have to call for backup. You have to type and typing will be slower than me shooting. You have t tell me to put the gun down before you can shoot. If you start typing you cannot shoot. e.g. immersion breaks because of a typer. I shoot and I am in the wind. They are possible scenarios which are heavily immersion breaking. If this guy wants to start a server which is text only, he will be able to but he has to find the bunch who like typing more than talking. Also because everyone in his server will type that means he could add rules to make sure immersion stays in one of those scenarios.

I do not get how people like that type of RP, but I cannot judge. I personally think it is boring but if they like it and enjoy it then why should the game be made to stop it. Some people can type but don't speak. (A mute) and so typing can cater their needs too, so don't forget that the matter what people won't eliminate all types of communication.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

I can't agree on you, there will be some text and private servers can most likely disable voice chat altogether! If you notice what is said right under your comment to the guy. I already told him the facts of what the game will contain and text chat will be there. It will be a very simple chat but they are not eliminating it altogether because they know there will be many people out there with no mic or just don't like using one.

Voice communication will outway text yes but private servers will likely change that and could make it text only. Official servers will likely make government jobs voice only but that is not official or even known yet but possible for it to happen. 

The reason for voice communication to outway everything else is because If for instance I was pointing a gun at you and you were a cop, you have no mic and so have to call for backup. You have to type and typing will be slower than me shooting. You have t tell me to put the gun down before you can shoot. If you start typing you cannot shoot. e.g. immersion breaks because of a typer. I shoot and I am in the wind. They are possible scenarios which are heavily immersion breaking. If this guy wants to start a server which is text only, he will be able to but he has to find the bunch who like typing more than talking. Also because everyone in his server will type that means he could add rules to make sure immersion stays in one of those scenarios.

I do not get how people like that type of RP, but I cannot judge. I personally think it is boring but if they like it and enjoy it then why should the game be made to stop it. Some people can type but don't speak. (A mute) and so typing can cater their needs too, so don't forget that the matter what people won't eliminate all types of communication.

This is why James is here. He gives the solid facts.

the text based is a classic. but unless there's a way to control, or inform those logging in ,  to a thread.. story line..  would be dependant on a patient post order.. as could take 15- 20 min or more for a single post some times (?)... so with 5 people you're waiting a hr  for a post ? ( if I'm understanding this ) ... if you're in a group contributing scene?  which,, if your  busy rl.. and could have a alert warn you when its coming up to your turn for you to be at  computer  ... 

I would really only play a game that has text based anything, because I do not like the idea of everyone know what I sound like. I would have to be terribly good friends with someone before I would even think of voicing with them. I have roleplayed text based or years, since I was 11 years old on sites like Avidgamers and even through Neopets, to now where I am mostly Roleplaying through SecondLife. I would much prefer text capabilities, over voice capabilities any day, as it gives the opportunity for me to think, use my imagination, get those brain muscles flexing. Yes it's tough and can take a long time, but text allows people to be creative with their writing. I find that text based role play is a lot like writing a book, it's just you aren't writing the whole thing you have multiple contributors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GwendalynDarkstone said:

I would really only play a game that has text based anything, because I do not like the idea of everyone know what I sound like. I would have to be terribly good friends with someone before I would even think of voicing with them. I have roleplayed text based or years, since I was 11 years old on sites like Avidgamers and even through Neopets, to now where I am mostly Roleplaying through SecondLife. I would much prefer text capabilities, over voice capabilities any day, as it gives the opportunity for me to think, use my imagination, get those brain muscles flexing. Yes it's tough and can take a long time, but text allows people to be creative with their writing. I find that text based role play is a lot like writing a book, it's just you aren't writing the whole thing you have multiple contributors.

If that's the case you're gonna miss out on a lot of games

7 hours ago, Arky said:

If that's the case you're gonna miss out on a lot of games

Like what exactly? in what games do I NEED to communicate? and honestly, if it has no other option, then safety, to me, is compromised and I dont play. May seem odd to you, but being harassed over voice in the past has ruined it for me for good.

7 minutes ago, GwendalynDarkstone said:

Like what exactly? in what games do I NEED to communicate? and honestly, if it has no other option, then safety, to me, is compromised and I dont play. May seem odd to you, but being harassed over voice in the past has ruined it for me for good.

DayZ, Squad, Arma, Battlefield, Survive The Nights and more. You need to communicate fast or else you'll die

12 minutes ago, Arky said:

DayZ, Squad, Arma, Battlefield, Survive The Nights and more. You need to communicate fast or else you'll die

Those arent games that you normally see a lot of roleplaying on, aside from maybe Arma. I also dont like COD so shooters to me are pointless. Im talking RPG's Arkay, you know..Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, even GTA 5 is more an RPG. Like this project...an RPG.

12 minutes ago, GwendalynDarkstone said:

Those arent games that you normally see a lot of roleplaying on, aside from maybe Arma. I also dont like COD so shooters to me are pointless. Im talking RPG's Arkay, you know..Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, even GTA 5 is more an RPG. Like this project...an RPG.

Any game is a Roleplaying game if you try

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arky said:

Any game is a Roleplaying game if you try

Therefore, you just made a great point toward my statement that voice is not always required for someone to have fun and Roleplay...thanks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GwendalynDarkstone said:

Therefore, you just made a great point toward my statement that voice is not always required for someone to have fun and Roleplay...thanks.

No, that was in no way shape or form in context to you argument. "Any game is a Roleplay game if try." Does not add up to "Let's make a server text based in a game where everybody is gonna be talking." Two completely different parallels there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arky said:

No, that was in no way shape or form in context to you argument. "Any game is a Roleplay game if try." Does not add up to "Let's make a server text based in a game where everybody is gonna be talking." Two completely different parallels there.

Ah, but not everyone is going to be talking, as was stated previously. Also, why the discrimination? Because we don't/can't use voice, were not invited to this game? You say that ANY game can be a Roleplay game if one tries, yet...you wish to disclude a group of peoples based on their inability/unwanting to use a mic to talk to people. If any game can be a roleplay game, then why can we not accept both methods for roleplay?