xPanda

K9 Handler

Hey anxious players/Devs! So I came up with this idea an hour ago and I think it would be a good idea to add K9s and K9 Handlers. These are specially trained officers which obviously travel around with their K9 when needed - can be used in situations such as a drug busts, locating a suspect/s which has gone out of sight of police officers in the area and possibly other situations. The handler would be able to name, command and create a relationship with them. When you start your job, you choose the gender, name of your new battle pup and train it. Once ready to hit the streets, the handler would have a K9 Marked vehicle and would be ready to accept calls where the K9 is needed to subdue someone who is resisting verbal commands or is becoming physically violent towards officers or other civilians within the area.

Pros to K9 Handler:

• 1) Adds more diversity to the Law Enforcement, other than the regular S.W.A.T. Units or other specialized units that may be already available.
  • 2) Gives a more immersive experience to locating a perp when in pursuit of them as they would be able to pick up a scent should an article of clothing (example) be present that belongs to the perp, not just asking for any sightings of them or CCTV footage.
  • 3) Drug busts could become more interesting and allow for more challenges in locating any hidden narcotics or other rec. drugs which would be legal, unless deemed legal by the President/Governor/Head of State etc. Drugs could be hidden under hard to reach places such as floorboards, frame of car etc or behind areas such as blocked passage ways only large enough for the K9 or a *Police EOD Bot to fit through
  • 4) The K9 would automatically defend the officers should someone attempt to harm them (unless kept on leash ) or released from their leash. May be injured and/or killed in the line of duty as any other living, serving officer does.

Cons to K9 Handler:

• 1) Custom sounds, models and walking/running/injured animations must be made along with implementation of A.I. specifically for the K9.
    2) May be an unpopular job - meaning that the job would not be given enough attention worth for the amount of time/effort put into it to implement the idea.
  •  
  • Thanks for reading this post, this is my first actual thread I've made - I attempted to add one about gun mechanics and I got signed out somehow, was super in-depth and took ages to write, never mind - as long as I can try to give any ideas along with everyone else I'm good! Looking forward to this game, hope it will be as feature packed and immersive as it seems to be as of the YouTube Demo video (looked brilliant by the way - well done, keep it going!) I will be getting the Founder rank hopefully soon before the prices change and whatnot!

*Police EOD Bot - would have the ability to be remotely controlled and to view using a I.R./Heat Seeking camera with 360 degrees rotational view. Would be able to disarm simple/home made bombs or other explosives which pose a threat to the public. Similar as to the EOD Bot which can be found in Battlefield 3/4!
  • Like 6

I have been fighting for this since the start of A3L servers and I believe this would be a great addition and instead of  having K9 AI have it be a player that's all I have to say the rest of my points are mostly covered here! 

• Like 2

This is a dream feature for sure, something that could be implemented post-global launch of all modules, if the game really kicks off.
After all, the level of communication between the player and the server is likely astonishingly high already and adding anything on top of that impacts not only performance but cost of maintaining those servers.

Harmonious balance in Identity between the "Cops & Robbers" is likely one of the toughest hurdles for the team, with that in mind it would be hard to justify the fluffy companion to be available to a select few Police officers without giving the Criminals some way to counter it.

I could be wrong, but it would make more sense to me to see them simply add to the pre-existing plans to allow players to have pets.
At this time they've said that players will eventually be able to keep pets (Dogs & Cats) in their apartments, but will have no place in the outside world.

If they reach the point where they can comfortably allow players to have Dogs in the sandbox (does not make much sense to bring your cat, but I guess you could) then they'll likely make it available to all players, regardless of "profession".
However, doggos will undoubtedly be made hard to get, seeing them all over the place would be hella weird and we know all too well that the team is pushing for realism.

If an officer can be accompanied by a K9 unit that can, by xPanda's example: Attack, defend, track and take damage - then we could assume that a Criminal's doggo could in turn "alert" the Criminal to an incoming Police presence.
It wouldn't be crazy effective over long ranges and would likely be considered more of a min-maxing move for high flying officers/criminals.

It's feasible to me only because if it's anything like real life, then it wouldn't take more than a few bullets to take out a hostile dog. But now we've got more questions that need answers, like whats going to happen to my dog once it's HP hits 0, is it only "downed"? Will it be destroyed permanently or perhaps re-spawn in my apartment? Can Dogs be stolen? Am I now worrying about a doggo talent tree?
It's questions like these that keep me up at night, and why I could only see this being done once our boys are rolling in dollar dollar bills.

Additionally, animal violence is tricky within the industry, especially of late as we see (for example) Fallout 4 refusing to allow the players canine companion "Dogmeat" to die. Unlike in Fallout 3 where Dogmeat could be viciously butchered, but this lead to players going as far as to sacrifice large chunks of progress to be reunited with their precious pupper and ultimately putting a downer on the gameplay experience.

Touchy stuff like this waves a lot of unnecessary flags in the faces of those who Asylum Entertainment would, as indie Devs trying to make a name for themselves, prefer stay opened minded to the idea of playing Identity.
At least, this is my assumption.. it all seems pretty ridiculous in the face of people shooting each other to death but hey that's the internet for you.

For now I'm happy just to have a companion in my apartment, but would be super interested to hear more from them about how they would go about introducing our fluffy friends to the outside world.

Edited by TrashmanBones
  • Like 1

This would be a really cool idea but all i can think about is the dog not being able to walk properly because it would be hard to make the model of it i think. But yes i would love to see this in game it will let people that are interested this in real life have a taste of it in game. And it would be cool if you could have it as a sort of pet when your off duty so it can live in your house sort of thing so you can live with it for the whole of your life and then you could have extra responsibility's like you would have to feed and give it water and then take it for walks and a lot more which will take time out of your day but will prove if you really want to commit to this role and possible pet while off duty.  

• Like 1

I've been looking for any officers to go to my campaign topic in the podium and write any laws or law enforcement ideas you may have!

Here's a good example of what a dog could look like in UE4, pretty realistic so I wouldn't worry too much about the model being hard to make, as long as they hire talent.

Where police dogs stay is different depending on where you go, but usually they'll stay in a police kennel or go home with the handlers.

I'd imagine it would work like the bounty hunter system does in asylum life where if you track a bounty it gives you a radius of (X) meters that the target could be in.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned having pets such as dogs and cats - possibly even fish. But to make some dogs K9 might be difficult, but not impossible.

• Like 1

The Idea is awesome. But I don't have any plan about developing and if thats is really hard but makeable or just too hard and to much effort put into this feature to even make it worth developing it, but still this sound really good and interesting ! 

If they don't have k9 here, police 10-13 does (when it comes out), but im like 80% sure ive seen it mentioned here before 

Be nice to have k9's and custom vehicles that has k9 cage in the cruiser or truck, when it does actually release, I am just super hyper to get into the game