Sign in to follow this  
uncannierlink

The "Benefits" of Doing Drugs.

One of the real immersion breakers for me in Asylum Life was that drugs were a victim-less crime. You sold them to the NPC dealer and made money. The cops were the bad guys, because they stopped you from making money. I think in Identity,when you do drugs you should get a buff and a really good one that makes it worth it to use. That way, players would buy them from each-other, instead of the dealer interaction being boring.

Some Ideas:

Meth gives you more health

Coke gives a sprint boost

Heroin allows you to zoom further when you aim

Weed and Alcohol decrease your stress level.

I think these effects should be balanced so that, the demand of drugs become very high, but the police are able to limit the supply (because they stop most people from selling them). This will make them realistically expensive and the effects should be worth the price. Thoughts?

Why does it give you BENEFITS ? Should it be meth makes you lose hair, coke makes you lose health or something? 

• Like 3

@Zeus

the common effects of meth and cocaine are euphory and a feeling of very high energy IIRC so it would make you run faster?

Things like morphine, painkillers and drugs that actualy make you calm would make your aim steadier and so on

you would have buffs but if used too much/ after a period of time you would get drawbacks such as addiction and health problems

• Like 2

Here I quote the answer given on the Q&A yesterday.

Identity will have drug usage. Keep in mind that our goal here isn't to promote drug use through Identity, but rather to reflect on modern culture, and drug usage is a big part of contemporary society.

Consuming some drugs in Identity may grant some short term benefit (i.e. Stamina increase), but will also cause your character to develop a dependency for the drugs you consume, requiring you to visit a hospital for rehabilitation, or risk illness or death.

Carrying any narcotic in your characters inventory is also illegal, as it is in real life (with the exception of Marijuana depending on if the governor has legalized it) and will flag your character, allowing you to be arrested by a player cop if searched.

Drugs in Identity are a commodity that we don't anticipate will be in high demand for trade between players. Most players will cultivate the drugs themselves and sell them to a NPC drug dealer for profit.

I think drugs should be done as close to the real thing as possible. Having superficial effects that aren't actually true to the drug will break immersion a bit I think.

13 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

I think drugs should be done as close to the real thing as possible. Having superficial effects that aren't actually true to the drug will break immersion a bit I think.

13 year olds shouldn't be doing drugs 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carmelo_dinoot said:

13 year olds shouldn't be doing drugs 

That's alright then because I'm not 13. Oh yeah and as well as that I don't think the law solely prohibits 13 year olds from taking drugs, I think its illegal for everyone for most of the world. But I'll let you off, as I know its just you being immature.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kickapoo said:

That's the one thing I didn't like about NoPixel

7 hours ago, Kickapoo said:

That's alright then because I'm not 13. Oh yeah and as well as that I don't think the law solely prohibits 13 year olds from taking drugs, I think its illegal for everyone for most of the world. But I'll let you off, as I know its just you being immature.

Let me off? That's must be a first. You never let men hop off. 

On 1/14/2017 at 7:21 PM, Zeus said:

Why does it give you BENEFITS ? Should it be meth makes you lose hair, coke makes you lose health or something? 

Because if there were no benefits they would be literally worthless, and no one would buy them to use them.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 10:13 AM, samrichardsonn said:

heroin allows you to aim further when you aim? lol what 

As in, an Extra Zoom.

On 1/14/2017 at 11:10 AM, Kickapoo said:

The Problem is, if there are no in game befits, they'll be worthless, and no one will use them. Meaning the cops won't have a drug use problem to fight (no one is afflicted by negative effects, because no one uses drugs), and criminals won't have a player based economy to sell them on, Meaning that running drugs will be the boring grind it is in Atlas Life.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, uncannierlink said:

The Problem is, if there are no in game befits, they'll be worthless, and no one will use them. Meaning the cops won't have a drug use problem to fight (no one is afflicted by negative effects, because no one uses drugs), and criminals won't have a player based economy to sell them on, Meaning that running drugs will be the boring grind it is in Atlas Life.

Nope, i said have them as close to real life as possible. Drugs can have positive effects on you, in the short term at least. For example if you took a bit of sniff then like in real life your sense of alertness may increase. That for one is a benefit that could be utilised in game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kickapoo said:

Nope, i said have them as close to real life as possible. Drugs can have positive effects on you, in the short term at least. For example if you took a bit of sniff then like in real life your sense of alertness may increase. That for one is a benefit that could be utilised in game.

Again, from an economic standpoint, they will have 0 value on the player market. Meaning that no one will use them. I think that if you want to have immersion and have a "drug war" the police can fight, you need a reason for people to use drugs in game.

Drugs being worthless, to me, is more immersion breaking than someone taking cocaine and running at 20mph.

8 hours ago, uncannierlink said:

Again, from an economic standpoint, they will have 0 value on the player market. Meaning that no one will use them. I think that if you want to have immersion and have a "drug war" the police can fight, you need a reason for people to use drugs in game.

Drugs being worthless, to me, is more immersion breaking than someone taking cocaine and running at 20mph.

Yeah but that won't happen because the devs are trying to make it a close reenactment of real life.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 6:21 PM, Zeus said:

I agree with your statement, however, the items will need certain buffs so that people actually use the items, otherwise methlabs won't do very well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kickapoo said:

Yeah but that won't happen because the devs are trying to make it a close reenactment of real life.

I think they'd be shooting theit own foot off if they make everything hyper realistic. After all, this is a game, fun should always come first to realism.

50 minutes ago, uncannierlink said:

I think they'd be shooting theit own foot off if they make everything hyper realistic. After all, this is a game, fun should always come first to realism.

Maybe, or maybe you're investing into the wrong game for yourself.

34 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

U turn me on Kickapoo ♥

9 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

Good to know...

Wanna get married when this game hits the shelves we can adopt @HairyGrenade cuz im infertile

Edited by Luck

5 minutes ago, Luck said:

Wanna get married when this game hits the shelves we can adopt @HairyGrenade cuz im infertile

What will it be? The drink or the herb?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kickapoo said:

Do you want a Identity to be a game where no players use drugs?