Kyleson

Text-to-speech

I'm not sure if anything like this has been suggested, but I'll post this anyway.

I was thinking - how about adding text-to-speech in the game for players who don't have mics. So that when players talk via chat, an artificial voice of sorts would come out of the player's character's mouth, so it's not just plain'ol text.  I'm not sure if this feature would function properly, but I think it should be considered. 

Edited by DROSE

8 hours ago, DROSE said:

I'm not sure if anything like this has been suggested, but I'll post this anyway.

I was thinking - how about adding text-to-speech in the game for players who don't have mics. So that when players talk via chat, an artificial voice of sorts would come out of the player's character's mouth, so it's not just plain'ol text.  I'm not sure if this feature would function properly, but I think it should be considered. 

Yeah, but it will slow down the rp as typing is slower than just talking and so it won't make a difference.

Also I think voices will need a license for them, unless they made their own and so if they can't make them then they won't want to payout money they need else where.

• Like 2

I think what needs to be considered is, if you have a mic or not, to play Identity. Not consider TTS, so that players without a mic, can play Identity.

The focus should be to talk over a mic. If you want to contact someone across the map, message or call x person on your phone or a payphone.

I can imagine TTS being abused and be very absurd when trying to have a proper conversation. As well, as the time it takes for someone to text something out, compared to just talking over your mic.

A microphone is absolutely necessary, to be playing Identity.

Edited by KingOTC
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, KingOTC said:

I think what needs to be considered is, if you have a mic or not, to play Identity. Not consider TTS, so that players without a mic, can play Identity.

The focus should be to talk over a mic. If you want to contact someone across the map, message or call x person on your phone or a payphone.

I can imagine TTS being abused and be very absurd when trying to have a proper conversation. As well, as the time it takes for someone to text something out, compared to just talking over your mic.

A microphone is absolutely necessary, to be playing Identity.

As having a microphone is absolutely highly recommended, I don't think it would be too much to ask for TTS to be implemented in the future as there are some people who do speak in Real Life through TTS In example: Stephen Hawking, Yes, yes, I know he is an exception and not a majority of people in RL are like this but at least this give an alternative to someone possibly like this or someone who had a mic and it broke and they just can't quite get a new one yet that is acceptable enough for people on the other end to hear your voice captured from.

Yes there will be problems that will surely arise from this like spam or two people using TTS speaking over each other and it terribly hard to understand either but that is the same for two people talking over each other but what sort of fixes that is surround sound the only few that would have a problem with this is a Mono listener.

With this option of TTS we would potentially customize our characters voices by Pitch and the devs can limit it so nobody can go so high as to sound like a squeeker or so low to where they sound like they constantly gargle marbles through a PVC pipe. Would be a neat thing to have TTS but not a priority.

5 minutes ago, Elric_VIII said:

As having a microphone is absolutely highly recommended, I don't think it would be too much to ask for TTS to be implemented in the future as there are some people who do speak in Real Life through TTS In example: Stephen Hawking, Yes, yes, I know he is an exception and not a majority of people in RL are like this but at least this give an alternative to someone possibly like this or someone who had a mic and it broke and they just can't quite get a new one yet that is acceptable enough for people on the other end to hear your voice captured from.

Yes there will be problems that will surely arise from this like spam or two people using TTS speaking over each other and it terribly hard to understand either but that is the same for two people talking over each other but what sort of fixes that is surround sound the only few that would have a problem with this is a Mono listener.

With this option of TTS we would potentially customize our characters voices by Pitch and the devs can limit it so nobody can go so high as to sound like a squeeker or so low to where they sound like they constantly gargle marbles through a PVC pipe. Would be a neat thing to have TTS but not a priority.

• - The chances of someone with ALS to touch this upcoming game is = 0.
  • - If you broke your microphone, you'll eventually have to buy a new one.
  • - If you can't hear anything, because there's too many people talking, you could move somewhere else.
  • - Changing the pitch of your voice will sound horrible.
  • - When was TTS ever used for serious talk in Moonbase Alpha.

This whole thing about TTS is just too absurd, the cons out do the pros.

For example, if someone makes fun of you for stuttering alot and you can't help it, that's just how it is. Don't let people drag you down because of that, just talk like you normally would and have fun.

38 minutes ago, KingOTC said:
  • - The chances of someone with ALS to touch this upcoming game is = 0.
  • - If you broke your microphone, you'll eventually have to buy a new one.
  • - If you can't hear anything, because there's too many people talking, you could move somewhere else.
  • - Changing the pitch of your voice will sound horrible.
  • - When was TTS ever used for serious talk in Moonbase Alpha.

This whole thing about TTS is just too absurd, the cons out do the pros.

For example, if someone makes fun of you for stuttering alot and you can't help it, that's just how it is. Don't let people drag you down because of that, just talk like you normally would and have fun.

You will be sorry when someone with ALS does touch this upcoming game (Forever Cursed)

Of course you would get a new microphone it was just merely a for convenience thing the way I see it 

Ill try to move somewhere quite in the Identity Prison or the house party or one of the countless town events possibly held

I admit the changing of ones voice would be terrible terrible terrible

TTS possibly was or was not used for serious talk can't really go finding those statistics plus it was a joke when I mentioned MoonBase Alpha

I don't think it was too absurd to think about a solution to possible problems that could arise. That is the whole point of adding suggestions to make things better. Your main cons mostly gave me either a suggestion or ultimatum to using the TTS if implemented which turns into an inconvenience. If you have more cons than the ones listed please list them as well as I would like to know more.

I only saw this as an extra feature the devs could throw in as "oh wow neat" kind of thing kinda like in Gmod someone typing shows them put their hand to their ear to signal they are typing. it really doesn't have an effect on me if it is implemented or not.

As for your example yes I too would love to see people with a stutter have fun speaking to others and having fun but people are dicks and reality is you can't get away from people who are dicks there really isn't a win to this last part as we can go back and forth with this point as devil's advocate.

Edited by Elric_VIII

On 12/20/2016 at 10:39 PM, DROSE said:

This won't be in the game as we want players RPing with different and unique styles. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HairyGrenade said:

This won't be in the game as we want players RPing with different and unique styles. 

Thank you!!

4 hours ago, HairyGrenade said:

Alrighty. Thanks for the reply. :D 

5 hours ago, HairyGrenade said:

A little late from me but thank you for the reply

There was also TTS in a game called Velvet Sundown, which has since been removed from the game. It was used a bit more seriously than Moonbase Alpha's TTS but still used for silly stuff and trolling. Though to be fair, those games weren't nearly as extensive as this game will be and playing with the TTS was about the most fun you could have in those games. I'm not totally against TTS being a feature that's only used seldomly. I would only be against players using it for trolling.

Playing the game with a microphone would be tons better and I would highly recommend it. Also for times when voice speech is not effective, you can always just text the person on your phone or move to a more quiet area. Just like in real life. Or just yell and piss off your real life roommates. Some limitations like this will make the game more interesting and immersive in my opinion. Maybe if whatever reason you don't have a microphone, you can roleplay as a mute. Roleplay is the keyword here, if you have a limitation in the game, use it for roleplay purposes.