Sign in to follow this  
Reshay

[GUIDE] Roleplay terms

I'm not really sure if this is the right section to post this but I haven't found any similar thread so I thought of explaining some common terms used in roleplay. All these terms are explained based on heavy roleplay gaming servers as seen in Arma 3, San Andreas Multiplayer, Multi Theft Auto and so on. I'll be editing this topic as soon as I come up with anything else! If you have any questions, I'd be more than glad to answer them and I hope you all find this useful.

In-character ( IC )

In-character is a term used to describe everything that's related and happening to your character, including the actions he performs, his reactions to different situations and in-game encounters, as well as conversations he has with other characters.

Out-of-character ( OOC )

Out of character describes everything that is not related to your character. Most games with an in-game text chat available use the parenthesis " (( and )) " when typing something out of character. For example, you ask your friend to join you on Skype. (( Hey bro, give me a call on skype! ))

Metagaming ( MG )

Metagaming is the simple use of out of character ( OOC ) information and knowledge in character ( IC ). It is not allowed on most roleplay communities and it's really common because there are a lot of ways for people to metagame without you realizing it. For example, you're telling your buddy over Skype to come and help you out somewhere in-game because you're being chased by the police and you're almost out of fuel. Why isn't this allowed? Because you're using an OOC way to provide an IC information. How is it done right? You need to figure a way for your character to contact your friends' character about this, such as a text message. Another common example is seeing someone's name above their head and pretending you know them by calling out their name. Your character doesn't know the name of another character unless you met him and he introduced himself to your character, or he is a famous figure you saw on television/newspaper, or some other character told you his name and so on.

Powergaming ( PG )

Powergaming has different meanings and it could be described as performing an act impossible for a human, forcing roleplay on other players without giving them a chance to respond, or roleplaying something that hasn't been made possible by the developers. For example, you try to pick up a truck like Hulk and smash the local hot dog stand with it. In first place, that's performing an act that is not humanlike, as well as roleplaying something that's not possible in game because you basically can't pick up a truck. Another good example is when someone is aiming a gun at your face and you immediately pull out your gun and shoot him. That's forcing roleplay on someone else because you didn't give him a chance to react. In real life, it takes a couple of good seconds to pull out your gun and shoot someone while in game you can do it in a second. Powergaming is often encountered around p2w ( play to win ) players, who are always looking to gain an advantage ( often unfair advantage ) over other players and now allowing them to react to a situation.

Deathmatching ( DM ) or Random deathmatching ( RDM )

Deathmatching or RDM is killing another character without a sufficient or valid roleplay reason. For example, someone pulls out his gun and shoots you not no reason at all.. Revenge killing often falls under DM/RDM because if your character dies, his memory of the killer and the entire situation that led to the death will be wiped out completely.

Edited by Reshay
  • Like 2

@Reshay 

1 hour ago, Reshay said:

Revenge killing often falls under DM/RDM because if your character dies, his memory of the killer and the entire situation that led to the death will be wiped out completely.

this ties into No. 2 below!

More that is known;

1. CDM - Car Death-match not as commonly used but is still a term to know.

2. NLR -New Life Rule.

3. (i will try remember more :) )

Edited by JamesLuck01