looper1235

Can You Be A Corrupt Cop

@Herzog

I kind of disagree that it would be "great RP". It would actually be the complete opposite. 99% of cops will be corrupt because that's just the nature of things. Since it's not real life and there aren't any serious consequences, it wouldn't be a good idea because then that just indirectly promotes being corrupt because it's basically like this "Hey, well if your corrupt then you can go to jail and get fined but it's not like anyone will actually catch you, and even if they do, just pay them off and then go on living and making money by breaking the role that you're supposed to be playing." That's why I think that it's wonderful that corruption isn't an actual thing implemented in the game and will be against game rules. But this is my opinion and your allowed to have yours. :D 

27 minutes ago, Rem said:

@Herzog

I kind of disagree that it would be "great RP". It would actually be the complete opposite. 99% of cops will be corrupt because that's just the nature of things. Since it's not real life and there aren't any serious consequences, it wouldn't be a good idea because then that just indirectly promotes being corrupt because it's basically like this "Hey, well if your corrupt then you can go to jail and get fined but it's not like anyone will actually catch you, and even if they do, just pay them off and then go on living and making money by breaking the role that you're supposed to be playing." That's why I think that it's wonderful that corruption isn't an actual thing implemented in the game and will be against game rules. But this is my opinion and your allowed to have yours. :D 

If we are super duper realistic this is correct, but by society publicly we don't have much of corrupt cops but believe me there is. There will always be corrupt people as it stands of the power or not. But in this game, yes, corruption is not allowed due most of it would be abusive towards gameplay. So yeah. My opinion tho and  I guess some conspiracy opinion. :) 

1 hour ago, Rem said:

@Herzog

My opinion is the same. Just stating that although it could be good RP its not allowed.

I think the goal of a good MMORPG like this game is trying to achieve is to allow the option of corrrupt cops without falling into the trap that many RPGs do - no consequences = complete evil. It would be best to try to create intense incentives to remain a proper rper without permanent consequences. This could be achieved with either a) an effective system of internal detectives / reporting corrupt cops which would result in a removal from the position, causing inconvenience and slowing down the play b) (this would be the best case) make being a good cop FUN. the main reason people like being evil is because its more fun. If being clean is more engaging and emotionally rewarding, we wouldnt see the open tap of bad cops we usually do, or c) (worst case imo) monitor the job without player involvement so that players are automatically punished for bad behavior.

24 minutes ago, NuclearGalactus said:

the main reason people like being evil is because its more fun.

I don't agree with that, the main reason most people like being 'evil' (and yes this applies to role play) is because it gives them a good excuse to be nasty, and as a close second, the other main reason is because, usually, they can get away with it, not so in Identity simply because it will have consequences.

The idea of corrupt officials shouldn't be dismissed, however, it would need to be with the consent of everyone involved & with strict rules about not using game mechanics ( i.e tipping off a player being chased) From a rp point of view it could be good, but like I said, it would need to be story driven.

I dont think the idea of being a corrupt cop would be fair because it would allow you ultimate power to flip flop between playing the good and bad character, therefore giving you increased incentive and advantage to manipulate the citizens playing in identity for your benefit. But hey thats just my opinion :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jinx said:

the main reason most people like being 'evil' (and yes this applies to role play) is because it gives them a good excuse to be nasty

I think we simply disagree on this point. People enjoy being 'nasty' because it elicits a reaction that is more mentally rewarding than performing the often repetitive tasks of their job. If the job was made more fun, psychologically rewarding, and not repetitive, i think we would see a massive dropoff in the perceived nastiness of players. This is no easy task, but if performed correctly it would massively increase the longevity of Identity and prevent a slow decline into a community of trolls. 

There are plenty of people who enjoy being nasty, it would be naive to disagree, and being corrupt would not be without consequence, but those consequences should be within the boundaries of the game. (there are evil people in real life too, so its not against rp)

21 minutes ago, NuclearGalactus said:

People enjoy being 'nasty' because it elicits a reaction that is more mentally rewarding than performing the often repetitive tasks of their job. If the job was made more fun, psychologically rewarding, and not repetitive.

Seriously? So you have a bad day at the office, and the way to cheer yourself up is to go home and be a prick to someone in a game, and that's mentally rewarding? I have to say at this point, you and I enjoy gaming with very different people.

In context, role playing the bad guy is fun, IN context. Within the confines of the story being told or the scenario being played out, but if simply being bad is what's fun, then I think we've got a problem. That's why I said, a corrupt cop could be useful, but only in context.

There are enough video's of Trolls in Altis Life 'being bad because it's fun' to explain this to you, they're 'fun' is ruining someone else's day, and that's really not healthy.

• Like 1

The consequence of being a corrupt cop is that you get kicked off the force forever. You can do it, but be damn sure no one finds out you are. Especially the head of police. Making it a banable offense would limit RP and cops would all be hard asses and boring to RP with. 

Edited by uncannierlink

2 hours ago, Jinx said:

Seriously? So you have a bad day at the office, and the way to cheer yourself up is to go home and be a prick to someone in a game, and that's mentally rewarding? I have to say at this point, you and I enjoy gaming with very different people.

In context, role playing the bad guy is fun, IN context. Within the confines of the story being told or the scenario being played out, but if simply being bad is what's fun, then I think we've got a problem. That's why I said, a corrupt cop could be useful, but only in context.

There are enough video's of Trolls in Altis Life 'being bad because it's fun' to explain this to you, they're 'fun' is ruining someone else's day, and that's really not healthy.

When i say 'job' i dont mean their literal job irl I mean the function they are supposed to be performing properly in an rp. Im saying if the actual function of a police officer was made 'fun' enough (and plus youre ruining a criminals day anyway by putting them in jail), there would be much less reason to troll and such. I agree their is an inherent human urge to 'troll', but I am simply saying that the main reason people troll is because playing the game normally has become too boring.

Could this not be solved by allowing for Police forces to engage in behind the scenes corrupt game play but having some sort of federal agency or Internal Affairs that was forbidden from engaging in any kind of corruption, whose sole purpose was rooting out corrupt officers?

• Like 4

You SHOULD be allowed to be corrupt, this is trying simulate real life so let it simulate real life. If the cop gets caught he gets kicked off the force forever thats fair but it SHOULDNT be against the rules or bannable 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

You SHOULD be allowed to be corrupt, this is trying simulate real life so let it simulate real life. If the cop gets caught he gets kicked off the force forever thats fair but it SHOULDNT be against the rules or bannable 

I don't agree with total corruption but maybe taking a few bucks here and there to look a blind eye would be cool.

• Like 1

Certain criminal groups that deal with Orginized crime, like an Italian mafia for example rely heavily on corrupt officials to operate realisticly. Without having the ability to at least somewhat influence police their gameplay would be extremely linited

• Like 2

Corruption should be allowed in severs, however it should be built organically in the server. It also should be heavily punished in the server if caught for corruption (depending on the severity).

Corrupt officers, detectives, etc should have to fear Internal Affairs, loss of their job/power, and possible jail time if caught. This would force corruption to be smart, and something not every officer, detective, etc could accomplish, or even attempt to be. 

This is just my thoughts tho. 

• Like 1

I would be for a corrupt function that you can interact with the gangs and something like that. I would love it  I hope it.

On 11/30/2016 at 1:09 PM, Rem said:

@Herzog

Consequences could involve being fired from the police force, which would be very serious

On 2016-11-30 at 10:09 PM, Rem said:

@Herzog

I can't relate since I was the biggest asshole cop who'd never accept bribes so people placed me on the hit list on CBCNR 24/7.

I think this is one of many things we should leave to be judged during Alpha/Beta period and not make any decisions yet.

there have to be corrupt cops . it would easy to regulate i think if you get caught been corrupt then you should go to jail and loose your ability to be a cop again ;) 

• Like 1