Snapy

Would there be a medical career?

So im aware of there being a police career, where you can branch up and eventually become what you want such as an FBI, CIA, Bomb squad, etc. I was wondering if there is such thing in a medical career, and if you branch up you can become a Pediatrician, EMT/Paramedic, etc.

One more thing i was wondering is, would there be a medical unit that focuses his/her medical attention towards the police, for example during a police raid if the police need to raid a drug lag or a criminal organization base of some sort? And if there would be one, would he/she be considered a cop? Meaning be equipped with handcuffs, tazer, etc.? Or would adding something like that give it more of a "military feel" which is what the dev's are trying to avoid (From what i heard of)

• Like 1

In my personal opinion EMT/Paramedic and Firefighting should be combined as it is in real life, giving the people playing as this roll to be more active rather than wait for something specific to happen and so it doesn't burn out the role so-to-speak. A fire every 5 minutes can get old, combining EMT/Paramedic and Firefighting will keep it more fresh.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jake said:

In my personal opinion EMT/Paramedic and Firefighting should be combined as it is in real life, giving the people playing as this roll to be more active rather than wait for something specific to happen and so it doesn't burn out the role so-to-speak. A fire every 5 minutes can get old, combining EMT/Paramedic and Firefighting will keep it more fresh.

Fire-Fighters are completely trained different to EMS/ Paramedics, So I don't think that it should be combined, as because in real life they are two completely different jobs. I do understand that fires every 5 mins will become dead and boring, but they are not the same career. Also maybe other players want to be a fire fighter and not both/ having them as separate careers creates and allows more players to have a career as because there might be a cap.

So im aware of there being a police career, where you can branch up and eventually become what you want such as an FBI, CIA, Bomb squad, etc. I was wondering if there is such thing in a medical career, and if you branch up you can become a Pediatrician, EMT/Paramedic, etc.

One more thing i was wondering is, would there be a medical unit that focuses his/her medical attention towards the police, for example during a police raid if the police need to raid a drug lag or a criminal organization base of some sort? And if there would be one, would he/she be considered a cop? Meaning be equipped with handcuffs, tazer, etc.? Or would adding something like that give it more of a "military feel" which is what the dev's are trying to avoid (From what i heard of)

@Snapy Police cannot enter other players apartments as it stands, so well they can't raid a criminals/ organisations property.

Edited by JamesLuck01
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Fire-Fighters are completely trained different to EMS/ Paramedics, So I don't think that it should be combined, as because in real life they are two completely different jobs. I do understand that fires every 5 mins will become dead and boring, but they are not the same career. Also maybe other players want to be a fire fighter and not both/ having them as separate careers creates and allows more players to have a career as because there might be a cap.

@Snapy Police cannot enter other players apartments as it stands, so well they can't raid a criminals/ organisations property.

Firefighters are trained life-saving skills...

2 hours ago, Calico said:

Firefighters are trained life-saving skills...

My point is they are not paramedics, their job is mainly to put out fires and saving people from burning buildings/ places under rubble. Fire Fighter (it says it in the damn name), they are supposed to be for different types of rescue/ life saving things. I do understand your point, but its better to keep them separate for that reason. (also it adds more options as there are only 3 main careers in the game.

31 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

My point is they are not paramedics, their job is mainly to put out fires and saving people from burning buildings/ places under rubble. Fire Fighter (it says it in the damn name), they are supposed to be for different types of rescue/  saving things. I do understand your point, but its better to keep them separate for that reason. (also it adds more options as there are only 3 main careers in the game.

On 9/1/2016 at 10:22 PM, Jake said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't firefighter's have their own paramedic unit's (in irl)?

Edited by Snapy

20 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Alright, glad to clear that up.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2016 at 0:57 AM, Snapy said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't firefighter's have their own paramedic unit's (in irl)?

In real life, Firemen are EMT's. They can be EMT/EMT-A/EMT-P   A=Advanced and P=Paramedic each level grants you further legal ability to treat various things due to having the appropriate training and paperwork.

There is Firefighter/EMT which are professional Firemen, they are REQUIRED to be an EMT just to get the Firefighting job, these are hired by the city which get paid via the government.

The EMT's who are NOT firemen are called a private EMS service, these people are ONLY EMT, no firetrucks are part of their organization, these can be Hospital EMT's to just a small group of people with the right credentials and paperwork. This type of EMT can be full time but generally it is off-duty Firemen or retired people. Firemen work 24 hours and have 48 hours off, so in the 48 hours they get to rest/family time/or work for a private service. The private EMS service usually works 12 hour shift not 24, and as I said, it isn't full time "usually" but some people make it full time.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2016 at 4:55 AM, JamesLuck01 said:

Firemen are EMT's, in a profession, they are one job. Also... EMS/Paramedics doesn't quite make sense, as EMS isn't a role, but a service. EMS=Emergency Medical Service(s) where as EMT/EMT-A/EMT-P stands for Emergency Medical Technician and the A/P stand for Advanced/Paramedic respectively. These 3 EMT levels are under the Emergency Medical Service. I can get more in depth if you want to take a history lesson a few years back when there were more than 3 levels of EMT.

The point is, they are the same job. not different like you think. Coming from a Fireman/EMT background is my source, as well as the schooling...

Hopefully I have cleared anything up that was confusing or misunderstood, I will check these posts in my free time, also feel free to read my previous post.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jake said:

In real life, Firemen are EMT's. They can be EMT/EMT-A/EMT-P   A=Advanced and P=Paramedic each level grants you further legal ability to treat various things due to having the appropriate training and paperwork.

There is Firefighter/EMT which are professional Firemen, they are REQUIRED to be an EMT just to get the Firefighting job, these are hired by the city which get paid via the government.

The EMT's who are NOT firemen are called a private EMS service, these people are ONLY EMT, no firetrucks are part of their organization, these can be Hospital EMT's to just a small group of people with the right credentials and paperwork. This type of EMT can be full time but generally it is off-duty Firemen or retired people. Firemen work 24 hours and have 48 hours off, so in the 48 hours they get to rest/family time/or work for a private service. The private EMS service usually works 12 hour shift not 24, and as I said, it isn't full time "usually" but some people make it full time.

Ah okay thank you for clearing it up! :)

• Like 1

I am a real world Paramedic/EMT in Norway, and we do not what so ever, working with the Fire Department since they are totally different from Paramedics/EMT :)

I will most likelly be a Paramedic in the game since I know how it works from real life :)

I do hope we will be able to get an ambulance/first responder vehicle in the game, as the police have a squad car :)

I don`t know if a ambulance is planned into the game as police and SWAT teams have their own cars :)

• Like 1

Sorry I'm a bit late but I thought that I'd add my two cents. My local fire department has two "branches" if you will: patient transport and the "actual" fire department. Patient transport is manned mostly by EMT-Basic and EMT-Intermediates and they mostly ferry sick people from hospital to hospital. They normally do not respond to emergency calls. The fire side has its own ambulances manned by two EMTs, at least one of which is an EMT-Paramedic. Almost all of these EMTs are firefighters and EVERY firefighter is an EMT. Many engines at stations without an ambulance have a "fire medic" who rides on it to stabilize the injured before an ambulance can come from a neighboring station. 

TL;DR In my area EVERY firefighter is an EMT and ALMOST EVERY Paramedic is a firefighter.

I registered to this forum after seeing specifically this thread. So anyone in this thread for the most part I can guarantee lives in North America or relatively close to it. 

If this is a game based off of North America then Firefighting should also be combined with EMS just as it is realistically done in North America. If it is European based than the two will be split as they realistically would. 

I'm a FF/EMT-B in the United States and I've been playing roleplaying games with people from all over the globe. If the devs base the game off of NA then it'll be FF/EMT or FF/Paramedic if it's EU based then it'll be FF and EMT or Paramedic. All depends on how they develop their game based off of its geographical location. 

On 2016-12-01 at 10:48 PM, Skygee said:

I registered to this forum after seeing specifically this thread. So anyone in this thread for the most part I can guarantee lives in North America or relatively close to it. 

If this is a game based off of North America then Firefighting should also be combined with EMS just as it is realistically done in North America. If it is European based than the two will be split as they realistically would. 

I'm a FF/EMT-B in the United States and I've been playing roleplaying games with people from all over the globe. If the devs base the game off of NA then it'll be FF/EMT or FF/Paramedic if it's EU based then it'll be FF and EMT or Paramedic. All depends on how they develop their game based off of its geographical location. 

I have a question how long is the education for these firefighter/paramedics?

Here in sweden the education to become a specialized paramedic is 4 1/2 years. And the "firefighter engineer" for example is 3 1/2 years. So here that would mean 8 years of education.

The firefighters here are trained in basic life saving and can WITH delegation from a doctor give oxygene if it is really necessary. Thb i like and would like it separated.

On 01/12/2016 at 9:48 PM, Skygee said:

I disagree with that and its based round California I am sure. 

On 01/12/2016 at 9:22 PM, Rockingrandy said:

Sorry I'm a bit late but I thought that I'd add my two cents. My local fire department has two "branches" if you will: patient transport and the "actual" fire department. Patient transport is manned mostly by EMT-Basic and EMT-Intermediates and they mostly ferry sick people from hospital to hospital. They normally do not respond to emergency calls. The fire side has its own ambulances manned by two EMTs, at least one of which is an EMT-Paramedic. Almost all of these EMTs are firefighters and EVERY firefighter is an EMT. Many engines at stations without an ambulance have a "fire medic" who rides on it to stabilize the injured before an ambulance can come from a neighboring station. 

I guess that's what you call it but in England we have them separately, but yes FF do have first aid training but they are not specifically as FF-EMT as they only have basic training and that's why they are not combined. 

In the united states depending on the location most city's separate there fire departments from there EMS.  Now this is beginning to change due to the lack of fires happening around the world, you just dont see it much anymore but there still needed.  And because life revolves around money, city's and towns are now more and more having there fire & ems combined so they pay less people and dont have to staff 2 departments.  Currently im working as both a fire fighter and a paramedic and 100% out of the 800 calls we have per year we have more EMS runs than fire.  So to correct your earlier statements, YES there are JUST fire departments, and JUST EMS, but out here where I live you will see most departments conjoint.  As the game goes I would love to see them conjoint, but I guess that would depend on how many departments they plan on having in this world??? Maybe have just Fire and an EMS crew in the city and a conjoint Fire & EMS in rural?

On 12/15/2016 at 10:12 AM, Frodie said:

I have a question how long is the education for these firefighter/paramedics?

Here in sweden the education to become a specialized paramedic is 4 1/2 years. And the "firefighter engineer" for example is 3 1/2 years. So here that would mean 8 years of education.

The firefighters here are trained in basic life saving and can WITH delegation from a doctor give oxygene if it is really necessary. Thb i like and would like it separated.

Here in America we run under the NREMT which stands for National registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, and they set the standards of everything a EMT-B should be able to perform, and so on and so forth.  To make mater's less confusing you still need to get licensed by the state, but overall to become a paramedic takes about a years worth of studies and once you get the job, they will train you for about another year.  Being a firefighter is completely different, you have different classes, your 36 hour training (volunteer fire department) your 240 hour card (part-time full time departments) and if you want to advance yourself you can get Hazmat technician (takes about 2 months) fire science degree (associates about 2 years) OR train to be an officer...to long....and a pain...and you get to sit at a desk an point a lot...

All together for me to be a paramedic/firefighter at 20 years old...took me 2 years but I still want my Hazmat tech and fire science so another 2+ years...but you dont NEED them to get a full time job, only for a promotion.  Hope this helps!   

• Like 1

On 2017-01-07 at 8:05 AM, Zach said:

All together for me to be a paramedic/firefighter at 20 years old...took me 2 years but I still want my Hazmat tech and fire science so another 2+ years...but you dont NEED them to get a full time job, only for a promotion.  Hope this helps!   

It´s crazy how different the schooling time is for different countrys. And thank you for explaining.

• Like 1