JamesLuck01

FAQ Extended (Updated)

36 minutes ago, PlayerOne said:

did i miss the question or has nobody asked how many players can play on one server / in the city?

They're shooting for 300 players per server! ^_^ 

Edited by Hatoful

1 hour ago, Hatoful said:

They're shooting for 300 players per server! ^_^ 

thank you. that should be enough. depending on the map size. 

i think it would be smarter to use cloud solutions though. if thats not what they plan to do. because if you cant get good performance with 300 players, video streaming, all the entities, cars, physics... it could ruin the game.

5 minutes ago, PlayerOne said:

thank you. that should be enough. depending on the map size. 

i think it would be smarter to use cloud solutions though. if thats not what they plan to do. because if you cant get good performance with 300 players, video streaming, all the entities, cars, physics... it could ruin the game.

If you mean cloud solutions, as in you're able to change if you can see clouds or not, I'm sure you'll be able to control that type of graphics. I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on this! Also, they said if they can handle more than 300 players on their servers, then they'll raise the limit, but right now it's at 300! ^_^ 

1 hour ago, Hatoful said:

If you mean cloud solutions, as in you're able to change if you can see clouds or not, I'm sure you'll be able to control that type of graphics. I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on this! Also, they said if they can handle more than 300 players on their servers, then they'll raise the limit, but right now it's at 300! ^_^ 

hehe. no, what i meant is they should talk to google or microsoft and use their cloud platforms instead of building their own server backend.

6 hours ago, PlayerOne said:

hehe. no, what i meant is they should talk to google or microsoft and use their cloud platforms instead of building their own server backend.

If they do that they will probably payout more money in the long term. So I have to disagree, I like them hosting their own servers so that they have full control and it won't be based round some other company to fix certain issues.

Also if you mean you want them to do it so that you have better performance streaming too then really you need to get better internet to do that. Also I am sure they will be fine as it is as they will have certain places instanced.

4 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

If they do that they will probably payout more money in the long term. So I have to disagree, I like them hosting their own servers so that they have full control and it won't be based round some other company to fix certain issues.

Also if you mean you want them to do it so that you have better performance streaming too then really you need to get better internet to do that. Also I am sure they will be fine as it is as they will have certain places instanced.

they will have to pay for official servers and players for community servers anyway. the difference would be that community admins send the money to them instead of server companies. you cant know if it costs more to use cloud infrastructure. and its scalable. if they decide the build a map with all 3 cities and 900 players, they can just do it. 

15 minutes ago, PlayerOne said:

they will have to pay for official servers and players for community servers anyway. the difference would be that community admins send the money to them instead of server companies. you cant know if it costs more to use cloud infrastructure. and its scalable. if they decide the build a map with all 3 cities and 900 players, they can just do it. 

Fair enough, but I think having it on servers are better because they can do maintenance on the servers themselves. The server providers obviously will have a certain payment likely to them as well but i am unsure of that and how they work that but having servers via the cloud means internet, if you for some reason lose access to that then you will lose access to the cloud. Also data can get lost within the cloud, not all but some bits of data.

Having the servers on physical hardware is easier to maintain and keep an eye on data, you can also give updates directly to it.

16 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Fair enough, but I think having it on servers are better because they can do maintenance on the servers themselves. The server providers obviously will have a certain payment likely to them as well but i am unsure of that and how they work that but having servers via the cloud means internet, if you for some reason lose access to that then you will lose access to the cloud. Also data can get lost within the cloud, not all but some bits of data.

Having the servers on physical hardware is easier to maintain and keep an eye on data, you can also give updates directly to it.

"the cloud" are physical servers too but connected in a huge data center. i think right now you dont even have to pay for it during development if you use spatialOS on google cloud. unreal engine isnt fully supported yet but its coming along. https://improbable.io

"Find out more, on our GDC page.

We’ll also be updating developers on our SpatialOS Games Innovation Program with Google. The credit system from this program will enable games studios to build, deploy and test games on SpatialOS up to the point of commercial release with significantly reduced, and in many cases completely eliminated, SpatialOS usage costs, including cloud computing fees. We hope this promotes experimentation, much earlier user testing, iteration of games, and an explosion of new ideas – these credits are intended for indie teams, new studios and small, innovative core teams in established larger studios."

Edited by PlayerOne

9 minutes ago, PlayerOne said:

unreal engine isnt fully supported yet 

Here is the problem then.

Also do they have control over their physical servers?

Edited by JamesLuck01

24 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Here is the problem then.

Also do they have control over their physical servers?

what do you mean by control? 

Therefore, over the coming year Unreal Engine 4 will become a first-class integration for SpatialOS, for use both as a client and as a server-side worker. This process will start with an experimental SDK that we plan to make available by the end of March 2017.

5 minutes ago, PlayerOne said:

what do you mean by control? 

Therefore, over the coming year Unreal Engine 4 will become a first-class integration for SpatialOS, for use both as a client and as a server-side worker. This process will start with an experimental SDK that we plan to make available by the end of March 2017.

I meant on maintenance with the servers!

4 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

I meant on maintenance with the servers!

that's google's job. as a dev you dont have to worry about that. the data wont be limited to a single server. that's the thing with spatialOS: it distributes the data and work loads between servers.

im not an expert. so i dont know how exactly all of this works.

but let me add one more thing. what typically happens in games is that many players want to be an admin and they rent their own servers. but on 90% of these servers only a hand full of people play. if devs can get players to pay them instead of server providers then they can use it to pay for the cloud costs. but because the cloud costs are usage based the devs could make a profit from servers only a few players play on and use the money to pay for the usage costs of their own official servers with many players. 

and they could do what many community servers do and charge for premium slots because nobody wants to wait in a queue when the server is empty.

so there could be additional revenue opportunities. 

23 minutes ago, PlayerOne said:

im not an expert. so i dont know how exactly all of this works.

but let me add one more thing. what typically happens in games is that many players want to be an admin and they rent their own servers. but on 90% of these servers only a hand full of people play. if devs can get players to pay them instead of server providers then they can use it to pay for the cloud costs. but because the cloud costs are usage based the devs could make a profit from servers only a few players play on and use the money to pay for the usage costs of their own official servers with many players. 

and they could do what many community servers do and charge for premium slots because nobody wants to wait in a queue when the server is empty.

so there could be additional revenue opportunities. 

Yes, I get the point but the physical servers are not handled by the devs meaning that they cannot physically upload updates to the servers but instead will do it via internet which means it is a slower process. Also uploading via the internet could have loss of data when complete, well more data loss than the physical updating using direct contact with the servers.

3 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Yes, I get the point but the physical servers are not handled by the devs meaning that they cannot physically upload updates to the servers but instead will do it via internet which means it is a slower process. Also uploading via the internet could have loss of data when complete, well more data loss than the physical updating using direct contact with the servers.

do you think they build their own server farm in their living room? seems to be unlikely given the size of the company with.. how many? maybe 3-4 people and a couple of freelance artists? 

and the community servers around the world?

i guess if file verification methods would be too unrealiable, cloud platforms wouldnt be a multi-billion dollar business.

2 hours ago, PlayerOne said:

do you think they build their own server farm in their living room? seems to be unlikely given the size of the company with.. how many? maybe 3-4 people and a couple of freelance artists? 

and the community servers around the world?

i guess if file verification methods would be too unrealiable, cloud platforms wouldnt be a multi-billion dollar business.

Oh well it is not ready for the unreal engine... It don't matter if we want them to use certain things because it might be inconvenient for them.

got to the new DevBlog: 

8 minutes ago, PlayerOne said:

and your job here is to decide whats convenient and whats not?

No, I just add my opinion.... Don't take it personally when I disagree, because criticism is good in the long run.

@PlayerOne

You should calm down first, no point being so agressive

On my side, i think having servers outside of asylum reach is a bad thing as if something goes wrong, i believe it's more likely to loose more data than internal servers

also, the selected server providers will have the exclusive market of identity, i do understand it sounds silly firsthand but if the game grows big (we all hope to i hope) they will have their money

idk why you want to have a cloud server so badly when it can work out just fine with regular servers

• Like 1

there is no difference if you have the data on servers of a typical game server provider or on the servers of amazon, microsoft or google.

you can make exclusive deals with amazon, microsoft, google too. 

"just fine". yes, just fine. except that you can see the technical limitations when you look at survival games. funcom thought it will work "just fine" and then had to fire their prefered server provider 4 days after release. and funcom has a little bit more experience than asylum afaik. i mean, what has the ceo worked on so far? a mod and mortal online? 

these discussions come up every time a new service goes public and makes things so much easier for devs. steam as a publishing platform. social media as an advertising platform. unity/unreal as development tool. and now with cloud services. 

Edited by PlayerOne

If you invite someone in your house, can they take your furniture or objects placed in furniture or items in general. Will they be able to use object? Ex: open a fridge or turn on the tv?

6 hours ago, greyisme said:

If you invite someone in your house, can they take your furniture or objects placed in furniture or items in general. Will they be able to use object? Ex: open a fridge or turn on the tv?

You have to give them different permissions to do different things.

1. Can you physically interact with others (besides murder) like hug, high five, etc?

2. Will there be controller support?

3. What kind of emotes are there planned? Like dancing, etc?

4. Can a car break down randomly? Does it have "health"?

5. Do cars need gas to run?

6. Is there cooking? Like the meat you hunt for?

7. How is food beneficial? Is there a hunger bar?

8. What benefits do using drugs have to your character?

• Like 1