WillyVortex

Lawsuits/suing people

Does anyone know if we will be able to sue people or businesses?

Let's say you make a deal with someone and you already paid them but they don't follow through (just an example). They don't necessarily need to go to jail for it but we could bring them to court before a judge and everyone can give their side, and the judge will decide.

• Like 2

Sounds interesting, also what about auto accidents? hunting on someone else's land, theft from businesses, and homes, those are some major ones, other than of course murder, among others...

On 5/2/2016 at 0:36 AM, jshaw71 said:

Sounds interesting, also what about auto accidents? hunting on someone else's land, theft from businesses, and homes, those are some major ones, other than of course murder, among others...

Yes exactly what I was thinking. Basically anything you'd see in an episode of Judge Judy lol

While there are lawyers in-game for many purposes, being used this way would unfortunately open the door to exploitation. For example, people could sue someone when they've done nothing wrong and in turn take money from them. You can't trust a jury of players to take the right side, since many people are playing to have fun juries often side with the more entertaining story (in our experience). Because of this, the system would be used to scam money away from people who worked hard and legitimately.

• Like 2

Just now, Paratus said:

While there are lawyers in-game for many purposes, being used this way would unfortunately open the door to exploitation. For example, people could sue someone when they've done nothing wrong and in turn take money from them. You can't trust a jury of players to take the right side, since many people are playing to have fun juries often side with the more entertaining story (in our experience). Because of this, the system would be used to scam money away from people who worked hard and legitimately.

We can balance the system then.

To become a jury member you need to apply in the forums ( maybe in a sub-board ) that will be adminstrated by someone to make sure no troll join the jury or judges.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

We can balance the system then.

To become a jury member you need to apply in the forums ( maybe in a sub-board ) that will be adminstrated by someone to make sure no troll join the jury or judges.

No, the jury are picked at random by a Automated process on the official server I believe.

2 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

No, the jury are picked at random by a Automated process on the official server I believe.

Yes i know, read carefully next time because i said.

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

We can balance the system then

1 hour ago, Paratus said:

Thank you for the response, and I was thinking for suing people it should be a single judge as a government job instead of a civilian jury, but I guess it would always be exploitable so that makes sense if it isn't in

1 hour ago, WillyVortex said:

Thank you for the response, and I was thinking for suing people it should be a single judge as a government job instead of a civilian jury, but I guess it would always be exploitable so that makes sense if it isn't in

If it was a single judge and no jury then you would have biased judges. e.g. I am judge and my friend is on trial for murder, I give him a short sentence for his crimes because he is friend. It would be annoying. Random picked players for the jury means that there is a possibility that a friend of the convicted will be in the jury.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Yes i know, read carefully next time because i said.

Ok, but if we balance the system by having the applicants going on the forum then that would not allow anyone a chance of being picked and whats the fun in knowing who will be the jury and who pretty much to bribe or even send people to kill them(assassinate the jury) 1 by 1 to stop themselves being found guilty.

32 minutes ago, JamesLuck01 said:

Ok, but if we balance the system by having the applicants going on the forum then that would not allow anyone a chance of being picked and whats the fun in knowing who will be the jury and who pretty much to bribe or even send people to kill them(assassinate the jury) 1 by 1 to stop themselves being found guilty.

And that's what we call Metagaming and as far as i heard it will not be acceptable.

Appying is like sending an e-mail to the place where we apply others did not know that the guy became a jury unless they were told in an in-character manner.

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

And that's what we call Metagaming and as far as i heard it will not be acceptable.

Appying is like sending an e-mail to the place where we apply others did not know that the guy became a jury unless they were told in an in-character manner.

yes but you will always will get people like that..... and you cant exactly stop it happening/ can't prove they did it....

2 hours ago, JamesLuck01 said:

If it was a single judge and no jury then you would have biased judges. e.g. I am judge and my friend is on trial for murder, I give him a short sentence for his crimes because he is friend. It would be annoying. Random picked players for the jury means that there is a possibility that a friend of the convicted will be in the jury.

Well the judge would only be for civil court (suing people) which should be a government job, and could be removed if reported for unfair treatment and the jury is for criminal court (murder, robbery etc) which would be randomly picked citizens

• Like 1

I think we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves here folks :) Some of these posts are asking a bit much from the game I think.

On 5/3/2016 at 0:51 AM, WillyVortex said:

Yes exactly what I was thinking. Basically anything you'd see in an episode of Judge Judy lol

Is that sarcasim, I hear? 

13 minutes ago, jshaw71 said:

Is that sarcasim, I hear? 

No I was serious, I was thinking trespassing, theft, pretty much any reason you'd want to sue someone in real life, and the show Judge Judy is full of examples

• Like 1

Oh, ok, Just checking, yeah there's all sorts of stuff you can sue a person for...

About suing people/ companies (for nothing):

the prosecution must give a reason why they are suing the other party.

then someone (a staff member) will check if that reason is true. 

This will prevent innocent parties from being sued (for nothing)

Those found suing others for no reason should be given a punishment (fine, jail, ban, etc)

(just my idea, like if you think that is... okay?)

And please correct me if wrong.