iiMStevo

Sadface.jpg

After all this time of waiting, Town Square is pending release and... my PC died so I have no PC to play it on D:

I'm going to be super jealous now watching everyone else play, while I can only sit and watch through twitch while I'm at work...

Have fun :'(

Edit:

Disclaimer: By died, I mean I sold it because I need to build a new PC and it's expensive, so it's my own fault, but please give me sympathy.

Double edit:
IT'S ALIVE

Edited by iiMStevo

Building a pc isn't necessarily expensive though, what's your budget at the moment because I could help.

• ver.1.22474487139 1

On 31/05/2018 at 12:09 PM, dagtag said:

Building a pc isn't necessarily expensive though, what's your budget at the moment because I could help.

...£4,500 ?

I’m an enthusiast builder, so I’m producing a fully watercooled rig that cools CPU, and *maybe* two GPUs being 1080TIs unless the 1180 gets released in which I may go for two of those. The timescale for the build is going to be around three months to cover the costs and the custom-made parts. It’s my first time doing case modding too, so there’s bound to be some mishaps! I’ll probably record the assembly etc and upload to YouTube once done if that kind of thing interests you too ??

First off, buying two 1080ti's doesn't seem like the best idea, from what I have seen it can really fuck up some games for you and it might be a problem. For the rest, 4,500 seems like a lot of money I am an enthusiast too and my rig roughly costed me around 2,500. Regarding the youtube part, I would love to see that.

35 minutes ago, dagtag said:

First off, buying two 1080ti's doesn't seem like the best idea, from what I have seen it can really fuck up some games for you and it might be a problem. For the rest, 4,500 seems like a lot of money I am an enthusiast too and my rig roughly costed me around 2,500. Regarding the youtube part, I would love to see that.

SLI (Nvidia's multi GPU system) works fine in most games and almost every game that doesn't support it is unaffected. There are a couple of outliers but SLI can be disabled at any time in the Nvidia control panel, removing any issues that those few games might have

I've had SLI for about four years and I've run into one game out of the several hundred I've played that had an issue. That being said, Identity is being built with Unreal which doesn't have multi GPU support, so unless Asylum adds support themselves and works with Nvidia on getting a profile set up then a second GPU will most likely be useless for this game

Edited by patrick68794

6 minutes ago, patrick68794 said:

SLI (Nvidia's multi GPU system) works fine in most games and almost every game that doesn't support it is unaffected. There are a couple of outliers but SLI can be disabled at any time in the Nvidia control panel, removing any issues that those few games might have

The SLI support might be fixed then but even then, two 1080ti's are not so much different than one 1080'ti. so its definitely spending an extra 1000 dollars for the performance you get.

And having SLI for four years with one card doesn't proof that another card is flawless too, it is a FACT that the 1080ti had problems with the SLI support

Edited by dagtag

On 31/05/2018 at 11:21 AM, iiMStevo said:

After all this time of waiting, Town Square is pending release and... my PC died so I have no PC to play it on D:

I'm going to be super jealous now watching everyone else play, while I can only sit and watch through twitch while I'm at work...

Edit:

Disclaimer: By died, I mean I sold it because I need to build a new PC and it's expensive, so it's my own fault, but please give me sympathy.

Buy one then 

12 hours ago, dagtag said:

The SLI support might be fixed then but even then, two 1080ti's are not so much different than one 1080'ti. so its definitely spending an extra 1000 dollars for the performance you get.

And having SLI for four years with one card doesn't proof that another card is flawless too, it is a FACT that the 1080ti had problems with the SLI support

Never heard of anyone having any issues with the 1080ti in SLI. Reviews of them in SLI don't mention any issues either and most state that overall the scaling is pretty good. I've also had three different cards in SLI (even did 3 way SLI at one point), never had any issues with any of them outside of one game.

5 hours ago, patrick68794 said:

Never heard of anyone having any issues with the 1080ti in SLI. Reviews of them in SLI don't mention any issues either and most state that overall the scaling is pretty good. I've also had three different cards in SLI (even did 3 way SLI at one point), never had any issues with any of them outside of one game.

Here you go: 

Should give you enough information about gtx1080ti's SLI support.

Edited by dagtag

On 6/7/2018 at 2:38 AM, dagtag said:

Here you go: 

Should give you enough information about gtx1080ti's SLI support.

I've read multiple reviews from actual reputable hardware review sites. None of them have mentioned any issues. Just because one person had an issue doesn't mean anything. Also, after watching some of that video I would never pay that guy money to build a PC for me, considering he was saying that was his job I'd frankly be surprised if he held that job for longer than a couple months.

For reference, the first game he talked about was GTA V. He claimed that it ran horribly at 4K with drops below 30fps. The following site ran it at 4K with everything maxed out with an average of 94.9 fps with a minimum of 69fps.

https://babeltechreviews.com/gtx-1080-ti-sli-performance-25-games/3/

Eurogamer didn't have any issues with theirs either, they noticed FPS increases anywhere from ~43% to nearly 85%. Their summary of using SLI 1080ti's:

In terms of running two GTX 1080 Tis together, the experience you get is very simple to describe - you can run your games at maximum settings, or very close to it, and rest easy in the knowledge that a 60fps lock is virtually unshakeable. Across all of our benchmarks tests, only one small section of The Division's benchmark run - an area that blitzes the screen with volumetric smoke and GPU particles - caused any kind of noticeable deviation under 60fps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, patrick68794 said:

I've read multiple reviews from actual reputable hardware review sites. None of them have mentioned any issues. Just because one person had an issue doesn't mean anything. Also, after watching some of that video I would never pay that guy money to build a PC for me, considering he was saying that was his job I'd frankly be surprised if he held that job for longer than a couple months.

For reference, the first game he talked about was GTA V. He claimed that it ran horribly at 4K with drops below 30fps. The following site ran it at 4K with everything maxed out with an average of 94.9 fps with a minimum of 69fps.

https://babeltechreviews.com/gtx-1080-ti-sli-performance-25-games/3/

Eurogamer didn't have any issues with theirs either, they noticed FPS increases anywhere from ~43% to nearly 85%. Their summary of using SLI 1080ti's:

In terms of running two GTX 1080 Tis together, the experience you get is very simple to describe - you can run your games at maximum settings, or very close to it, and rest easy in the knowledge that a 60fps lock is virtually unshakeable. Across all of our benchmarks tests, only one small section of The Division's benchmark run - an area that blitzes the screen with volumetric smoke and GPU particles - caused any kind of noticeable deviation under 60fps.

Look, I am not saying that just because one card has a problem every card will, but one person having this issue does mean something because this means there is a possibility of it happening again, I was just giving the guy a fair warning.

6 hours ago, dagtag said:

Look, I am not saying that just because one card has a problem every card will, but one person having this issue does mean something because this means there is a possibility of it happening again, I was just giving the guy a fair warning.

Well the person in that video clearly didn't do any sort of research so he most likely didn't have the hardware necessary to utilize both cards. There's also a chance that he just got a bad card, which most certainly wouldn't be limited to the 1080ti and can happen to anyone with any card. Trying to use that video as evidence that the 1080ti has SLI issues is extremely misleading

On 5/31/2018 at 5:21 AM, iiMStevo said:

Edit:

if ur PC broke... then how did you write this?

On 6/9/2018 at 3:07 AM, Flakeleey said:

if ur PC broke... then how did you write this?

Work PC!
My old PC didn't break, I just sold it... although, due to unfortunate circumstance the guy who bought the pc actually contacted me back the other day to say it's blue-screening when GPU is under-load, so I'm prioritising fixing that for him first before buying more components for my new PC. It turns out my old motherboard has finally had enough and decided to pack in after the latest reinstall of Windows before I sent the PC off :( 

----------------------------------

As for the GTX1080TI SLI discussion;
I've ran cards in SLI before. I had two identical 980 TIs by EVGA in an old rig. The performance boost I got from that was around 30%~ extra, however, some games really do not like SLI configurations, so on a good few games I had SLI disabled, and instead the second card ran a second monitor so games and applications could run without any framerate drops in Windowed mode (allowing for faster window switching).
In light of my new PC design, I'm trying to build a showcase-grade PC with a build video for a few friends and I to be in awe of. I'll be running two screens off the machine, and a third 5" touch screen inside the chassis, so while the additional card isn't required, it would certainly help with application run-time and memory utilization across Windows. I'll also likely have things like Twitch running while playing games too, which again can consume a lot of graphics processing when gameplay is being live-streamed as it effectively has to duplicate the information for the stream (although memory load is often significantly less). I'm still torn between running SLI, or running a single GPU in a vertical bracket. At this stage, I'd rather not rebuild the open-loop for GPU cooling again in such a short period of time, and running three monitors (essentially) off one card isn't ideal, especially with gaming and streaming, so the more likely option is to pursue the SLI configuration.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, dagtag said:

I'll make sure I put up a video in about two months time, for anyone in here that's interested :)
My old PC I've just sold for £1,200 after about 12 months use originally cost £2,500, but would be £3,000 now if built from new. That was an AIO CPU cooled PC though. Open-loop cooling adds on a hefty chunk to the price tag. I'm also going from 16GB DDR4 memory to 64GB DDR4 memory, so again, that's a hefty increase!

• Like 1

As promised, the video for the new PC build..!

In the end, I opted for the RTX 2080TI over two 1080 TIs. The performance increase over two in SLI is about the same as the single RTX 2080TI, except it works out at around £600-700 cheaper.

Edited by iiMStevo
  • Like 1