IdentityLIVE

Private Investing (Not stock market)

I know stock markets won't exist in Identity. However I thought about investments in a different way, in a method that only players (citizens, business owners, investors) would need to manage, rather than the devs or server management.

So you want to start a business in Identity, but you don't yet have the cash to get started. There's no public investing (stock market), so what about private investing? I'll give an example so no one is confused. A private investor who has a high net-worth that invests in a startup company can be called an Angel investor. These Angel investors make money through the success of the startup company, or they could lose money if the business fails, pretty much like the stock market.

What is so great about private investing in Identity is the fact that there may not have to be any real dev-made systems to make this work. I'll give an example of exactly how I would imagine a private investment goes down in Identity...

Two players can make an in-game legal document that states the terms and agreements of the investment, and both parties receive a copy of this document in their inventories. It is optional to get the documents notarized (legalized) either from a government organization or a law firm... That's pretty much it. The rest is up to the players to decide, such as the terms and agreements, which by the way could be conjured up by a lawyer that knows the ins and outs of the "laws" (server rules).

The legal document system doesn't need much development because from what I understand, people can write or type on paper in Identity. Also surely there will be printers to make copies of paper, so really the system is already there for that. The only thing that isn't for sure is if documents will be able to get notarized in Identity.

I think notarization would be a welcome feature, as it can give the police a job if the agreement is broken. Notarization would increase the chance of players spending their money in the server, growing the economy. But this post isn't about notarization mainly, but about the ability to invest your money in a company regardless of the existence of a public stock market. Certainly in my opinion this would satisfy the requests of players hoping for a stock market.

TL;DR You can put your money in a business through a legal agreement between players and profit from its success, without the need of a stock market.

What do you think of this idea? Please tell me the pros and cons that you see?

Edited by IdentityLIVE

I really like the idea of this. I had this in mind about a month ago. One being, my character in the game will be a female lawyer. (Check Character idea topic) for details. One of the things I wanted to know is whether it's worth the time and money setting up a real law firm in the game. I've heard a couple of times that players will be selected for jury duty and the defendant can select someone he trusts to represent him. I'd like to be able to establish an actual firm in the game. So I thought about asking other players for private investing. Also, as a lawyer, I'd like to be able to represent people for examples; such as the one that you mentioned. If the terms and agreements are broken; it gives the cops a job to do. As usual, you might want to file a lawsuit against the person who broke the terms and agreements. As an attorney; I'd represent you in that case.