stickNmove

Adjustable Laws/Penalties & Political Structure

Ran a search and watched quite a few developer Q&A's, but have not heard or seen this topic discussed.

Adjustable Laws/Penalties:

I think it would be a wise idea, if not already intended, to allow private server admins to adjust the sentence lengths on specific crimes, and any fines that may be affiliated.

Why? It would give admins the ability to adjust the atmosphere of the server to a level that they are looking for. Some admins and players may want a more forgiving casual experience, while other admins and players want a stricter realistic experience. For example a more casual server could be tuned to carry a sentence of 10 minutes jail-time for murder, 8 minutes for bank robbery, etc, while a stricter server could be setup to carry a murder jail-time of 1 hour, and 50 minutes for bank robbery.

On a stricter server, players would be less likely to commit severe crimes due to harsh penalties. This would also probably provide a method to establish a more consistent level of play in a server geared towards harsher penalties, due to players not necessarily resulting to spur-of-the-moment excitement based on boredom, or a need for quick cash on the spot such as someone wanting to buy a car, and resulting to a quick robbery attempt so they don't have to spend more time working for the cash. Players or admins who don't desire this, could simply adjust the penalties down to their liking, or adjust the penalties for a few specific laws that they don't want frequently broken or violated on a "willy-nilly basis" so to speak.

Also the ability for a player's charge to be changed or plead down to a less severe penalty or crime I think would be important. For example, if a cop charges someone with manslaughter, but then later based on evidence it get adjusted to a murder charge before a trial begins.

What I am unsure of is that,If this situation occurred in-game, a player would finally get to trial, only to be found guilty of manslaughter because the arresting officer already charged him with that title of crime, or can a Judge/DA reassign the charge before/during/after the fact, so that the appropriate jail-time is issued by the Judge, in the instance that it was not actually manslaughter, but rather murder? 

Political Structure:

This idea, although less important than the above, but also related in certain ways would give admins the ability to change things up and offer more diversity to the game.

Having the ability to either setup a server with a political structure locked in place, or allow the political/government structure on a server to gradually change to something that is drastically different from what was originally in place. For example, being able to set a server up and run a communist regime atmosphere, or a democracy, or any other general form of government structure. Maybe a democracy is set forth, then it slowly begins to change into a communist government through gradual changes in policies, corruption, propoganda and the use of money to manipulate politicians/civilians/law enforcement.

I think there is a few more things I could have added to this, but this is generally what I'm thinking would be great ideas, so I'll leave it as is for now. Let me know your guys input.

@stickNmove On Private servers, the person who controls the server will be able to change the sentence of the prison time and make it more severe, There are many other things which will be changeable on private servers. 

However no one will be able to be a judge, the jury is randomly selected and you can go to court to plead/ try to get free. You can hire a lawyer/ a player who can argue your case to try and get you free from prison.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LuckyDuck said:

@stickNmove On Private servers, the person who controls the server will be able to change the sentence of the prison time and make it more severe, There are many other things which will be changeable on private servers. 

However no one will be able to be a judge, the jury is randomly selected and you can go to court to plead/ try to get free. You can hire a lawyer/ a player who can argue your case to try and get you free from prison.

Thanks for the answer.

So being that there are no Judges (or a District Attorney), I'm assuming the arresting officer would be the individual who finalizes the plea-deal agreement, if a plea is offered at trial?

This might sound a little too much, but what functions would be available in the hands of a player (plantiffs/cops/defendants), to possibly help substantiate facts, such as a mechanism in-game that would allow individuals to video/voice record encounters? If this had to happen out of game, I don't think anyone would bother, but if it's not a feature, I would imagine court trials would just end up being perjury 24/7.

Edited by stickNmove
Bolded text.

6 minutes ago, stickNmove said:

Thanks for the answer.

So being that there are no Judges (or a District Attorney), I'm assuming the arresting officer would be the individual who finalizes the plea-deal agreement, if a plea is offered at trial?

This might sound a little too much, but what functions would be available in the hands of a player (plantiffs/cops/defendants), to possibly help substantiate facts, such as a mechanism in-game that would allow individuals to video/voice record encounters? If this had to happen out of game, I don't think anyone would bother, but if it's not a feature, I would imagine court trials would just end up being perjury 24/7.

All you have to do in court is, to have a good argument to why you are innocent. You are to convince the jury of your innocence if you want to get out early. Their is no parole, no plea either.

12 minutes ago, LuckyDuck said:

All you have to do in court is, to have a good argument to why you are innocent. You are to convince the jury of your innocence if you want to get out early. Their is no parole, no plea either.

I see. Thanks.

I would hope to see atleast a general system of cops being obligated to write a report of some type on the defendant's arrest, so that at least some level of honesty could be outright checked, if a cop does give false testimony.

I also heard that cops get paid commissions for arrests in a Q&A, so I would be fearful of cops lying to get the arrest half the time, and the criminals always always lying, especially gangs. Of course admins can attempt to moderate this situation, but a lying cops would probably slip by the radar for a very long time.

Edited by stickNmove

5 hours ago, stickNmove said:

I see. Thanks.

I would hope to see atleast a general system of cops being obligated to write a report of some type on the defendant's arrest, so that at least some level of honesty could be outright checked, if a cop does give false testimony.

I also heard that cops get paid commissions for arrests in a Q&A, so I would be fearful of cops lying to get the arrest half the time, and the criminals always always lying, especially gangs. Of course admins can attempt to moderate this situation, but a lying cops would probably slip by the radar for a very long time.

Private servers can enforce people to write up reports but it won't be enforced in Official servers.

I for one will enjoy this part of the game and will take pleasure in building creative arguments for defendants. However; there are some adjustments I would want to be made. Given the fact that there is no plea; kind of eliminates the whole element of agreements being negotiated between a prosecutor and defense attorney; in exchange for a lower sentence. I for one feel this would benefit servers where legal punishments are stricter. In real life, defendants seek plea agreements to avoid a harsher punishment; for the simple fact of wasting the courts time for what is obvious guilt in the evidence collected prior to trial. They could still allow the jury to decide whether or not the defendant gets the higher or lower end of the time recommended by the defense attorney or the prosecutor. 

Thoughts?

My comma key is broken so yeah...Into my response - I believe that the devs stated they would have an election system where if you were to be elected by others in the server you'd absorb the ability to change the laws to your liking.I may be referring to something that was said ages ago but it's all I remember on the topic.

Luv y'all

Doesn't the jury system allow for cyber bullying by making sentences long for some players and never punishing others?

1 hour ago, TheHolyNZF said:

Doesn't the jury system allow for cyber bullying by making sentences long for some players and never punishing others?

What? How is that cyber bullying? And the members of the jury can decide whatever they want, it’s their choice wheather they think someone is guilty or innocent.

On 5/6/2018 at 7:25 PM, Cstove said:

What? How is that cyber bullying? And the members of the jury can decide whatever they want, it’s their choice wheather they think someone is guilty or innocent.

If there happens to be a situation where one person keeps on getting charged the max punishment just because of who he is rather than what he did and on the other hand the next player will always be set free of any charges, always. I don't think this system is actually so well thought-out. How is the prison gameplay going to be anyways?

Edited by TheHolyNZF

35 minutes ago, TheHolyNZF said:

If there happens to be a situation where one person keeps on getting charged the max punishment just because of who he is rather than what he did and on the other hand the next player will always be set free of any charges, always. I don't think this system is actually so well thought-out. How is the prison gameplay going to be anyways?

Well there are so many people in a server, I would assume the jury will be quit random, maybe the devs will add a feature like how in real life a lawyer can kick off certain members of the jury. Prison will be its own little game inside of Identity, you can walk around and talk to other inmates, join a prison game, and shank people, etc.