JoelKeys

Sad to Admit I Am Dissapointed

I am very sad to say that the latest gameplay video has left me disappointed. I understand that most of that video was placeholders, and I mean no disrespect to the development team when I say this but that is sadly not a good enough excuse in my opinion. The Town Square module is supposed to be released in just over four weeks, and all we can see is a two minute clip of placeholders? I am afraid that doesn't work for me.

I understand the people defending the dev team, I really do. I know first hand how difficult game development is, but I feel like you are just defending them because of the work they put in without taking into regard the poor quality of the video. The video wasn't great. It is okay to say that without making it a personal attack on the dev team. It wasn't bad enough for me to ask for a refund, but it did leave me disappointed. We were promised a gameplay video to show us what the game would be like. That is not what we got. If everything we saw, from the lighting to the animation, was a placeholder, how is that showing us what the game will actually be like?

I just want to reiterate, my problem is not with the poor video. I understand fully that every game is poor before it is released, that is why is isn't released. My problem is we were told we were getting a demonstration of the game, and that is not what we got. I loved the housing video. Why? Because I wasn't told about it prior. That video is how I discovered Identity. I enjoyed the seamless changing of designs and colours, I enjoyed the extensive customisation options, I loved that we were given a commentary. But I would be incredibly disappointed if the devs turned around tomorrow and said, "Now hang on, everything we showed you in that video was just placeholders and not representative of how it will actually work in the game," I would be let down by that. What did the crime video actually show us if half of the stuff wasn't representative of the real game? 

Now I will give credit where it is due. I think the shooting scene looked very good. I liked how the meth cook character took the shots to the chest, I liked everything about that whole scene. The animations for that scene were even good in my opinion. I also liked how it appears that the drug manufacturing process will require thought and effort as opposed to being handed to you on a silver spoon. However, the rest of the video left me dissatisfied with more doubt than I am comfortable with. The blue smoke was way too obvious. It shouldn't be that easy to detect whatsoever. I think driving seems a bit tedious, having to put on the handbrake, look at the door to get out, etc. 

Finally my closing statement. I think the dev team have done a fantastic job with this game judging off of the initial two videos. I loved them both. The crime and punishment one, however, left me disappointed. And that is okay. You are allowed to dislike the content the devs put out now, because the game is not out yet and it can still be moulded. Although I am disappointed, I do not blame the dev team for lack of effort or anything of the sort, I simply don't think that video was for me. I appreciate everything the development team have done over the last few years, and my confidence and trust is still with them. This is just my personal feedback, overall I am still excited for the game, it is just this one video has disappointed me, especially after the long wait.

• Like 5
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

Well put, I've stated in a couple of other posts my thoughts about this issue, especially from a PR standpoint. What I want people who defend the game to understand is that our criticism dosen't come from a place of hate, if anything it comes from a place of wanting the game to succeed because we see the potential of the game. I hope the devs continue to learn and get better, but we have to wait and see those results and hope that the devs learn and grow instead of making the same PR mistake over and over again.

• Like 2

The video looked as if it took a day to record and about 30 minutes to plan. My attitude towards this game is slowly declining.... I'm only human.

• Like 1

They've wanted to make the video for months, in fact it's mentioned on Dev Blog #008. But the thing is, it didn't go as planned, the biggest delay was probably because John was alone to work on it for quite a bit of time? The rest of the team was focused on Town Square. Then there was issues with animations, not only because the developer in charge of it took much more time to release them, but there was also game engine crash, polishing and other stuff to take into account.

I'm just stating some facts about it, but now into the opinion part.

Yes the game play video could have been much better, because some of the placeholders were months or a few years old. Cringe worthy right? But let's not forget it was recorded in a part of the map that haven't been worked for a long time. The vehicle physics left me with mixed feelings (as a person who loves driving), but I know that feature won't appear until module three. The shooting did look cool, with the animations of being shot and falling down without actually dying. But I think they plan to improve some aspects in there.

I'm not saying I hated the video, that's not true. But it would be a lie if I said it was almost perfect. There was some things I did like and some things I didn't like. But how does it affect my view of Identity? It doesn't at all. They've made mistakes, we all do, but I'd strongly recommend waiting until the TS video, or at least the release of the first module. Some people think the C&P video was the main focus of all those months, but it looked more like Town Square was the big focus for those months of wait. It was at the beginning of February that they started rushing on the crime video and some people was begging for it.

22 hours ago, LordBenji said:

They've wanted to make the video for months, in fact it's mentioned on Dev Blog #008. But the thing is, it didn't go as planned, the biggest delay was probably because John was alone to work on it for quite a bit of time? The rest of the team was focused on Town Square. Then there was issues with animations, not only because the developer in charge of it took much more time to release them, but there was also game engine crash, polishing and other stuff to take into account.

I'm just stating some facts about it, but now into the opinion part.

Yes the game play video could have been much better, because some of the placeholders were months or a few years old. Cringe worthy right? But let's not forget it was recorded in a part of the map that haven't been worked for a long time. The vehicle physics left me with mixed feelings (as a person who loves driving), but I know that feature won't appear until module three. The shooting did look cool, with the animations of being shot and falling down without actually dying. But I think they plan to improve some aspects in there.

I'm not saying I hated the video, that's not true. But it would be a lie if I said it was almost perfect. There was some things I did like and some things I didn't like. But how does it affect my view of Identity? It doesn't at all. They've made mistakes, we all do, but I'd strongly recommend waiting until the TS video, or at least the release of the first module. Some people think the C&P video was the main focus of all those months, but it looked more like Town Square was the big focus for those months of wait. It was at the beginning of February that they started rushing on the crime video and some people was begging for it.

I get what you are saying, but there was no reason that they had to record that video in that specific part of the map. The fact that they obviously wanted to make a great and exciting video worries me because they obviously would have chose an area which is good to film it in, and this is what we got. Basically all I am saying is that if this is the best they had to offer, I am worried. They would not have said to themselves, "Let's record this highly anticipated video in a area that we haven't worked on in a while."

I also said that it doesn't change my opinion on Identity as a whole, my post is purely on the C&P video, not Identity as a whole. The video was sloppy and bad. They could have done better, they chose not to. Taking a few hours out of a day to make a quick video does not seriously affect the project as a whole. 

2 hours ago, JoelKeys said:

I get what you are saying, but there was no reason that they had to record that video in that specific part of the map. The fact that they obviously wanted to make a great and exciting video worries me because they obviously would have chose an area which is good to film it in, and this is what we got. Basically all I am saying is that if this is the best they had to offer, I am worried. They would not have said to themselves, "Let's record this highly anticipated video in a area that we haven't worked on in a while."

I also said that it doesn't change my opinion on Identity as a whole, my post is purely on the C&P video, not Identity as a whole. The video was sloppy and bad. They could have done better, they chose not to. Taking a few hours out of a day to make a quick video does not seriously affect the project as a whole. 

I know that, personally it probably wouldn't have been too hard to ask one of the developers to make some better foliage for a certain area to polish it up a little bit. But I'll assure you that the Town Square video will be much better than the crime one. TS has been redone three times and they've put much more work on it.

But yeah, as I said, mistakes was done, but hopefully it'll be the last video filled with too many placeholders. I don't mind if they take a few months to work on a video, because seriously it's not just a matter of recording stuff, but making sure you have a good base too so you can record on it.

I want to love this game, and through good planning, I'm sure this will be a success.

13 hours ago, LordBenji said:

I know that, personally it probably wouldn't have been too hard to ask one of the developers to make some better foliage for a certain area to polish it up a little bit. But I'll assure you that the Town Square video will be much better than the crime one. TS has been redone three times and they've put much more work on it.

But yeah, as I said, mistakes was done, but hopefully it'll be the last video filled with too many placeholders. I don't mind if they take a few months to work on a video, because seriously it's not just a matter of recording stuff, but making sure you have a good base too so you can record on it.

I want to love this game, and through good planning, I'm sure this will be a success.

I don't think you are listening sir. I have been here for well over a year now, and I have full faith that I will be satisfied with the Town Square Module. This post is merely expressing my disappointment with this one specific video. It was a bad video. I am not saying the Town Square will be bad, I am saying the C&P video was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoelKeys said:

I don't think you are listening sir. I have been here for well over a year now, and I have full faith that I will be satisfied with the Town Square Module. This post is merely expressing my disappointment with this one specific video. It was a bad video. I am not saying the Town Square will be bad, I am saying the C&P video was.

What are you talking about? Yes I did put my opinion about the crime video, and how the future one should be better. I didn't go completely out of subject. The reason why I was talking about Town Square was because you were worried about that the crime video could have been the best they have done (which isn't).

Even though the video have been a source of disappointment, I'll say like you said, it's not enough for me to ask for a refund.

17 hours ago, LordBenji said:

What are you talking about? Yes I did put my opinion about the crime video, and how the future one should be better. I didn't go completely out of subject. The reason why I was talking about Town Square was because you were worried about that the crime video could have been the best they have done (which isn't).

Even though the video have been a source of disappointment, I'll say like you said, it's not enough for me to ask for a refund.

Oh I see where the misunderstanding is. What I am saying is that everything in this video is going to have been polished and made to look nice for the sake of the video. This is not just some random area of the map, it has been specifically chosen because it looks better than anywhere else or they would have recorded this video in the better place, so what I mean is that if this is the best they can offer it worries me.

ikr so dissapointed I have been hyped for a video like this, looks like they thought "Oh shit we were supposed to post the video today, lets just hop on and make a 2 minute video"

I was pretty dissapointed pretty much just because that was the town square, I wanted to see the actual part of the game I would be playing.

The big mistake was that the charge for making the video was mostly on John's shoulders. Big source of disappointment from what I can see, but I don't make a big deal about it because I know they have something much better coming soon in less than four weeks. It's called the Town Square video which was long awaited. Just wait until they surprise us with it.