Anonymous_Citizen

Environment Realism / Video Logic

Hello, Identity Community.

I have been noticing that several users have been calling for aircraft, trains, and other paraphernalia which are not necessarily allowed or necessary for a realistic environment.  The game will take place on an island, a small island, which will allow users to experience a small but vibrant community.

The reason why airplanes and trains don't make sense, other than abuse, is simple logistics.  A small island would likely not have a train network.  If the island did, it would be very limited.  If the lack of aircraft takes away from the realism, there are several populated areas IRL which have banned aircraft.  Part of the island lore could be that aircraft were banned for sound pollution or something else.  I recently noticed a post about prison bus transport.  Again, not necessary.  Consider the size of the island, and what would be logical in reality.  The main reason why this project attracted me in the first place, was because of the realism and entire map freedom.  By limiting the environment to an island, the developers have given us the freedom of exploring "everywhere" without making an endless mindless map.

Finally, I am going to discuss the video.  Ladies and gentlemen, just forget the video.  If it comes out, let it be a nice surprise.  The primary goal is the first module at March 21st.  The last thing in the world any of us want is that enough players make such a noise about the video, that they focus on that instead of necessary module development.  If the March 21st deadline is pushed we are going to be worse off than missing some video.  Let's be surprised, and let's focus on March 21st as the goal.

• Like 2

The island won't be terribly small. It's atleast bigger than GTA V's map by a fair amount. But yeah, aircrafts are just not in consideration because it cuts off the possible social interaction when going from point A to B. There will be a train however that travels the map for players to use as a mode of public transportation. 

• Like 2

i totally agree the air vehicles may cut off any social interaction those who would be hurt to be able to meet other people 

• Like 1

I don't think aircraft would cut off communication between players. What if the pilot has to speak to the control tower, which can be run by players, or if he takes passengers to their destination? Although as devs said it would make the island feel too small, so it makes sense to not have air travel, unless they release a new island in a dlc.

Edited by SkinnierSteve
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SkinnierSteve said:

I don't think aircraft would cut off communication between players. What if the pilot has to speak to the control tower, which can be run by players, or if he takes passengers to their destination? Although as devs said it would make the island feel too small, so it makes sense to not have air travel, unless they release a new island in a dlc.

Plus, people would kamikaze every two seconds.

yeah but a 1on1 taxi ride would have alot more social interaction and role-play than a 1:25 plane, journey would be alot shorter too, so nowhere enough time to chat and stuff..

From what I heard the devs said the trains would be automated and NOT run by players.  Any future potential air travel could also use the same model.  Perhaps there could be an airport and airplanes that fly automatically on schedule and players can only use them as passengers.  This eliminates the kamikaze nonsense.  

Air travel addition would make more sense in case the devs decide to add a second island some time down the line. 

4 hours ago, SkinnierSteve said:

They can actually kamikaze with cars too, by running people over or crashing into people's cars on purpose to damage them.

The stress system will hopefully prevent VDM in a way.

There's no airplanes because we're in imprisoned on an island with no communication to the outside world. If we try to leave, our vehicles will just die due to ultra secret technologies used by the government.

Okay I made up half of that, but the sea vehicles will actually "die" if you try to reach really far out of the map. Also it's been said a few times already, airplanes will go from point A to point B way too fast and will cut the potential encounters that you'd get if you were on the road. There will be a train, but it won't go everywhere on the map, just a small part of it. Asylum doesn't want players to have an advantage by being in the air, whether it would be for quick traveling or espionage.

That is a cool way to think about it. It could be like that secret island in Just Cause 2 that destroys vehicles with lightning machines.

Edited by SkinnierSteve