BrianHamilton

Recent Community Toxicness

Hello everybody,

Within the past week, I've seen quite a lot of so-called "supporters" of the game complaining about the developers not meeting the deadline for the gameplay video and being a week late. However, this isn't the first time that I have encountered these kinds of people who constantly try to find things to hate on the developers and the game so I'll simply say what I have always said in the past;

Yes, I know it must be frustrating to be expecting something just for it not to arrive, however, I would much rather prefer that the developers take all of the time that they need to make it to perfection or at least as close to perfection as possible.

Don't rush them on the video or you'll just be put with a rushed one which wouldn't be as good as one in which they spent a lot more time on. Plus, they are constantly busy with the game itself. I know that I would definitely prefer that they focused on the actual game rather than just a very short video of the game. If you prefer the former to the latter then ask yourself "why?".

Again, yes, I understand that it can be frustrating but it's for the best. So what if they have to delay it by a few days, a week or even a month? All that matters is that they dedicate as much time to it as possible, however, whilst I'm sure the video is, in some way, a priority, their biggest priority will be the game itself.

Second point of business; numerous delays in the past and the possibility for a delayed BETA release.

Firstly, with something as gigantic as the BETA release, being that it will be the very first time in the years that they have been working on this game, I am positive that they will have learned from their mistake in the past, years ago, of issuing a release date and having to cancel and wouldn't have released this date unless they had thought very long and hard about it as they know how massive of a deal this is. In addition to this, just think about how bad it would have been if they released it all the way back then as opposed to on March 21st. They wouldn't have had all the different features and plans that they do now so it works out for the better.

With all of that being said though, if and just if they do, for whatever reason, need to delay the BETA, although, as I stated in the paragraph above, I am entirely positive that they won't, whilst of course I predict a lot of frustration from the community and of course I will be disappointed, I know they will be working their absolute hardest to make the game so much better and don't mind waiting an extra few weeks for it even though it would be very frustrating (drinking game; take a shot for every time I said "frustrating" in this thread, I know) as I know it would contain much less bugs and glitches than it would if they rushed it.

Conclusion

Yes, the delays can be annoying but if you want to call yourself a true SUPPORTER of Identity, then support the game's progress and the developers through all of the difficulties rather than moaning and complaining about it and the team so much. Also, keep in mind they are an absolutely tiny development team in comparison to larger video game development companies and the progress they have made throughout the few years they've been working on Identity is not only incredible but it's outstanding!

Also, numerous posts about it just make the forums look spammy, unsupportive and cluttered. Feel free to share your thoughts and concerns below so long as you remain respectful. I've seen a couple of frustrated users start fights with others, taking their anger out on them so let's all show some love.

Thanks.

Edited by BrianHamilton
  • Like 2

Since I started to get more active on this forum, I've noticed some members being impatient or disappointed about constantly delayed estimations. I've been reading through the blogs again and I can totally relate to people's point of view. Patience is a real lacuna.  But I'll say this: "Better wait for quality rather than rushing it." And don't forget, how many people officially work for Asylum? Maybe @Beach_Ball or @LuckyDuck can answer to that question. :) 

I do expect the video to come out before the weekend (should be released tomorrow if all goes well). And I also hope the alpha (modules, small parts of the game) will not be delayed too much if it ever does. 

• Like 1

Agreed, it's one thing to criticize but to flat out give the devs hassle and act In the way I've seen a lot of people act in is absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for. I'm a proud supporter of this game and I agree it can be frustrating, people can vent if it's not in an over the top manner but it needs to stop with people acting childish, frankly I think it's obvious who the underage children are on the forums 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LordBenji said:

Since I started to get more active on this forum, I've noticed some members being impatient or disappointed about constantly delayed estimations. I've been reading through the blogs again and I can totally relate to people's point of view. Patience is a real lacuna.  But I'll say this: "Better wait for quality rather than rushing it." And don't forget, how many people officially work for Asylum? Maybe @Beach_Ball or @LuckyDuck can answer to that question. :) 

I do expect the video to come out before the weekend (should be released tomorrow if all goes well). And I also hope the alpha (modules, small parts of the game) will not be delayed too much if it ever does. 

The dev team changes constantly, but it usually hovers around 20ish.

• ver.1.22474487139 1

14 hours ago, BrianHamilton said:

Hello everybody,

Within the past week, I've seen quite a lot of so-called "supporters" of the game complaining about the developers not meeting the deadline for the gameplay video and being a week late. However, this isn't the first time that I have encountered these kinds of people who constantly try to find things to hate on the developers and the game so I'll simply say what I have always said in the past;

Don't rush them on the video or you'll just be put with a rushed one which wouldn't be as good as one in which they spent a lot more time on. Plus, they are constantly busy with the game itself. I know that I would definitely prefer that they focused on the actual game rather than just a very short video of the game. If you prefer the former to the latter then ask yourself "why?".

Again, yes, I understand that it can be frustrating but it's for the best. So what if they have to delay it by a few days, a week or even a month? All that matters is that they dedicate as much time to it as possible, however, whilst I'm sure the video is, in some way, a priority, their biggest priority will be the game itself.

Second point of business; numerous delays in the past and the possibility for a delayed BETA release.

Firstly, with something as gigantic as the BETA release, being that it will be the very first time in the years that they have been working on this game, I am positive that they will have learned from their mistake in the past, years ago, of issuing a release date and having to cancel and wouldn't have released this date unless they had thought very long and hard about it as they know how massive of a deal this is. In addition to this, just think about how bad it would have been if they released it all the way back then as opposed to on March 21st. They wouldn't have had all the different features and plans that they do now so it works out for the better.

With all of that being said though, if and just if they do, for whatever reason, need to delay the BETA, although, as I stated in the paragraph above, I am entirely positive that they won't, whilst of course I predict a lot of frustration from the community and of course I will be disappointed, I know they will be working their absolute hardest to make the game so much better and don't mind waiting an extra few weeks for it even though it would be very frustrating (drinking game; take a shot for every time I said "frustrating" in this thread, I know) as I know it would contain much less bugs and glitches than it would if they rushed it.

Conclusion

Yes, the delays can be annoying but if you want to call yourself a true SUPPORTER of Identity, then support the game's progress and the developers through all of the difficulties rather than moaning and complaining about it and the team so much. Also, keep in mind they are an absolutely tiny development team in comparison to larger video game development companies and the progress they have made throughout the few years they've been working on Identity is not only incredible but it's outstanding!

Also, numerous posts about it just make the forums look spammy, unsupportive and cluttered. Feel free to share your thoughts and concerns below so long as you remain respectful. I've seen a couple of frustrated users start fights with others, taking their anger out on them so let's all show some love.

Thanks.

Most people that I've seen complaining about the delays are people who are more upset about the fact that they keep making the same PR mistake over and over again instead of just working on it and not being pressured to answer a question they might not be able to fulfill. While it may be frustrating to see people complain and be impatient, it's not bad for developers to be put accountable for things they said. I know some may be trolls, but through them there are people who are generally concern about the devs making promises instead of just working on the projects and just releasing it when they can. I don't necessarily see people who are concern about the development as not being "true" supporters, they are just people who are excited to see the game to be completed and are upset with continuously being let on by the devs about promised and what they see as expected dates. Honestly posts like these are unnecessary because they just stir up the pot even more and cause even more people to be upset, let the people who have paid for the game be concern.

Edited by NanoSpace
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, NanoSpace said:

Most people that I've seen complaining about the delays are people who are more upset about the fact that they keep making the same PR mistake over and over again instead of just working on it and not being pressured to answer a question they might not be able to fulfill. While it may be frustrating to see people complain and be impatient, it's not bad for developers to be put accountable for things they said. I know some may be trolls, but through them there are people who are generally concern about the devs making promises instead of just working on the projects and just releasing it when they can. I don't necessarily see people who are concern about the development as not being "true" supporters, they are just people who are excited to see the game to be completed and are upset with continuously being let on by the devs about promised and what they see as expected dates. Honestly posts like these are unnecessary because they just stir up the pot even more and cause even more people to be upset, let the people who have paid for the game be concern.

And I entirely understand that. I'm not saying that I don't get annoyed by delays because - and I truly don't mean to sound too self-focused (for lack of a better word) - as you know I'm one of the more active members within the community so of course I do. I know it can be very irritating to get hyped up for something just to be told that it's going to be delayed. I understand that and I do agree that unless they are very sure that it will be done by a certain date then they shouldn't provide any dates publicly, however, surely people should understand by now that just because they say "Oh, this thing will be out on this date", whilst you should be dedicating 95% of your brain to believe them, 5% of you should at least say "Okay, let's give or take for any development issues which may arise and understand that it may or may not actually be on that specific date at that specific time, as to avoid disappointment".

With all of that being said though and as I said above, with something as gigantic as the BETA release for the first module; the player's very first ever interaction within the actual game itself, I am very positive that they would not have given a date for it without being at least 99% sure but you still have to think about that 1% and at least know that, if, for whatever reason, they need to postpone it (or whatever else they are working on) then it's for the best. I would prefer to be playing a BETA with as less bugs as possible. Of course, there will still be a lot of glitches to report, no doubt, but at least if they have more time then they can work to make it as good as possible for us when we finally get in. However, I am still very positive they will hit the deadline of March 21st successfully.

In regards to frustrated community members, as I said, I'm not going to lie and I admit it can be irritating for me too but to actually start calling out the developers and giving them a hard time for it is not okay. To start hating on them and their work isn't an appropriate way to handle it. I've seen quite a few salty members who weren't only venting their frustration at the delays (which, to SOME extent is okay) but starting fights with other members about it and really trashing the devs for it.

THAT is my issue.

Additionary Edit:

In regards to your statement about "posts like these" stirring up trouble; posts trashing the devs and complaining about the delays are the ones which are much more likely to "stir up trouble" than this one.

Edited by BrianHamilton

16 hours ago, BrianHamilton said:

Yes, the delays can be annoying but if you want to call yourself a true SUPPORTER of Identity, then support the game's progress and the developers through all of the difficulties rather than moaning and complaining about it and the team so much.

I would call someone a true supporter if they paid their hard earned money towards this game. 

If everything is positive feedback, nothing would be fixed. Negative feedback leads to the game being changed to better suit the General Population, which makes it a better game, so just because people are asking them to stop delaying dates does not mean that they are not supporting the game...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanoSpace said:

Don't forget who actually pressure the devs to give dates; "The community does"! Also don't forget that the devs listen to the community because they like to let them play a role in the development and then you get the ones who complain. The ones who complain usually are the ones constantly saying "When is the release", "Give us something", but after getting something and then it is missed, they complain about it being missed.

The devs have given 1 actual date in the 3 years of development which is the only one I would consider a promise and that is "March 21st". Nothing else like all those estimations given, were not a promise and purely estimations.

Humans make mistakes and everyone has made mistakes throughout their life. The devs are humans, They have made mistakes with estimations in the past. They are improving and thought a lot more about the module 1's release date more than they did in the past because they underestimated it last time.

EDIT:

True supporting of the development is generally, giving "Constructive Criticism" and feedback. 

• Like 2
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

10 minutes ago, LuckyDuck said:

Don't forget who actually pressure the devs to give dates; "The community does"! Also don't forget that the devs listen to the community because they like to let them play a role in the development and then you get the ones who complain. The ones who complain usually are the ones constantly saying "When is the release", "Give us something", but after getting something and then it is missed, they complain about it being missed.

The devs have given 1 actual date in the 3 years of development which is the only one I would consider a promise and that is "March 21st". Nothing else like all those estimations given, were not a promise and purely estimations.

Humans make mistakes and everyone has made mistakes throughout their life. The devs are humans, They have made mistakes with estimations in the past. They are improving and thought a lot more about the module 1's release date more than they did in the past because they underestimated it last time.

EDIT:

True supporting of the development is generally, giving "Constructive Criticism" and feedback. 

I didn't forget those points,  in fact I brought them up in my original post. 

Edited by NanoSpace

2 minutes ago, NanoSpace said:

I didn't forget that, in fact I brought that up in my original post.

Indeed, but generally it was for all to see just I didn't quote everyone.

2 hours ago, GreyFox said:

I would call someone a true supporter if they paid their hard earned money towards this game. 

If everything is positive feedback, nothing would be fixed. Negative feedback leads to the game being changed to better suit the General Population, which makes it a better game, so just because people are asking them to stop delaying dates does not mean that they are not supporting the game...

You obviously missed my message to @NanoSpace. I said:

I know it can be very irritating to get hyped up for something just to be told that it's going to be delayed. I understand that and I do agree that unless they are very sure that it will be done by a certain date then they shouldn't provide any dates publicly, however, surely people should understand by now that just because they say "Oh, this thing will be out on this date", whilst you should be dedicating 95% of your brain to believe them, 5% of you should at least say "Okay, let's give or take for any development issues which may arise and understand that it may or may not actually be on that specific date at that specific time, as to avoid disappointment".

I'm not saying that it all needs to be positive feedback and I am always one for taking on constructive criticism myself, so I know the developers will be too since they listen to the community so much. However, this post is more-so regarding the TOXIC people (as implied via the title of this thread) who have been giving hate to the developers for their work and progress. Again, I know it's frustrating to have a date being missed but you shouldn't dedicate 100% of your brain to expecting them to hit the deadline. However, with this being such a massive event, I'm positive they wouldn't have given the date unless they were entirely sure.

Constructive criticism is important, but trashing the developers, starting fights with other players and trolling on the forums, trying to make the developers look bad isn't okay. I also covered that in my response to Nano.

In regards to frustrated community members, as I said, I'm not going to lie and I admit it can be irritating for me too but to actually start calling out the developers and giving them a hard time for it is not okay. To start hating on them and their work isn't an appropriate way to handle it. I've seen quite a few salty members who weren't only venting their frustration at the delays (which, to SOME extent is okay) but starting fights with other members about it and really trashing the devs for it.

Extremely well said sir.  I have the exact same feelings on the subject.  Disappointment aside, I wish the devs would just stop giving out dates no matter the demand.  I don't think that is an unreasonable request.  It gives hope to people only to be let down when things get pushed.  This could all be avoided by simply saying that you will get it when you get it.  You can emphasize how you say something like we "might" or "may"  but it sends a misleading message in the end.  One that doesn't build faith. 

• ver.1.22474487139 1

@BrianHamilton The toxicity is not just about dates either. There is also the factor of being attacked because I hope for something to be on release. Not demanding them how they must do it at first release.  Yet I got attacked just discussing this.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xzothi said:

@BrianHamilton The toxicity is not just about dates either. There is also the factor of being attacked because I hope for something to be on release. Not demanding them how they must do it at first release.  Yet I got attacked just discussing this.  

The word date has a double meaning...
You get what I'm hintin' at.

1 hour ago, Negan said:

The word date has a double meaning...
You get what I'm hintin' at.

So you mean the fruit?(It actually has a triple meaning.)

7 minutes ago, Xzothi said:

So you mean the fruit?(It actually has a triple meaning.)

Yeah, I meant the fruit. I wonder if Jesus ate any.

>I am promised something
>Said promise is broken
>Not allowed to get upset over it

I have asked this question before and I will ask it again.
Why are people so blindly protecting this game, I also believe in this project but come on.
They should be held accountable for their continuous lying.
I have followed this game for 2.5 years and I have heard more lies than I count on 10 fingers so excuse me for being upset.
Not to sound toxic but Jesus Christ if you do something shitty expect me to be upset over it.
You are delivering a product not some free fan service that we should be eternally grateful for.

14 minutes ago, Fabulous said:

>I am promised something
>Said promise is broken
>Not allowed to get upset over it

I have asked this question before and I will ask it again.
Why are people so blindly protecting this game, I also believe in this project but come on.
They should be held accountable for their continuous lying.
I have followed this game for 2.5 years and I have heard more lies than I count on 10 fingers so excuse me for being upset.
Not to sound toxic but Jesus Christ if you do something shitty expect me to be upset over it.
You are delivering a product not some free fan service that we should be eternally grateful for.

The devs didn't lie, they gave estimates in the past which were mistakes. They never lied about anything. Kickstarter only allows up to 2 years as the date when something can be delivered. But generally The devs know and were honest about making the mistakes they made in the past. They made bad estimates. Everyone does; even Big Triple A teams do. These devs have given estimates which are not promises. Dates given are more a promise but they didn't lie about anything.

You have the right to be upset. We get why everyone is upset. I am disappointed about the push backs, but I know that these are because the devs hit a wall in development and they stray off schedule. These sort of things happen randomly and are not predicted most of the time. I mean by this is that they get game breaking bugs or some design features were needed to be changed.

What were you promised?

All the rewards detailed on the packages were indeed promised to you when they are ready, and also are to say thank you for your support. 

What promise was broken?

No promises were made truly.

I personally don't open up topics about being upset or throwing it out there because I don't see what it will really do because complaining all the time gets you know where really. You are indeed allowed to express yourself. Just know that anything which is "Q1 or Q3 or such is purely an estimation and Not a Promise.

• Like 1

Honestly I haven't seen any of the really bad stuff that people have mentioned, probably just goes to show the efficiency of the mods on these forums, so I have no personal place to talk about these attacks on the devs, but I understand the place of the people who are actually concerned about the game and aren't just trolls. Considering this is the first big mainstream gaming adventure for this gaming company they could have done a lot worst, but they are still learning, sadly mostly through mistakes but still learning. I just hope that what the devs get from this is that if they aren't sure about a date or and estimate it's just better to stay quiet in the long run.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:25 AM, NanoSpace said:

^

@LuckyDuck Thank you!

Estimates aren't a promise. They're an estimate.
And sometimes, shit happens. That's not just exclusive to game design.

I think people are way too quick to jump the band wagon and join the circle jerk.

• Like 3