NanoSpace

Let's talk about that Dev Blog

First off, congratulations to @Motown for finally being able to work in the great mystical land of Canada! I think I speak for everyone when I say I wish you luck there and happy to see you finally with the project physically.

VIDEO: Sad to see that the video is delayed by a couple days, but I'm still happy to see it coming out soon and can't wait to see what it contains! Here's the photo that was the sneak peak if you haven't seen it yet:
unnamed.thumb.jpg.75fcacef128ddbd3bcbfcf7b178795ca.jpg

U.I: The new U.I looks really clean and really can't wait to see what the other parts of it look like! Here it is if you haven't seen it already:
5a731971a0ebe_unnamed(1).thumb.jpg.17c4276e28874dbc9d4b3a2dde0565cf.jpg

STEAM: Interesting to see the full on integration with Steam that is happening and really happy about it. Will make playing the game and playing with other people much easier. 

Tell me what you guys think off all this information, let's start a discussion!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwitchTriox said:

Where did you get those photos from ?:/

From the dev blog, It was emailed out. The official post will be here today on the forums.

• Like 2
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

I am just curious if the game will also be available for purchase as an early access title on steam, when the first module is released. In which case it might get negative reviews right at the beginning, if some people find it on steam and expect it to be a full version of the game.

10 minutes ago, Horak said:

I am just curious if the game will also be available for purchase as an early access title on steam, when the first module is released. In which case it might get negative reviews right at the beginning, if some people find it on steam and expect it to be a full version of the game.

Not sure, but that's probably a great question for ether @Paratus or @Beach_Ball

27 minutes ago, Horak said:

Hopefully doesnt get released until at least the 2nd module or I would agree, there will be lots of hate towards the game because people on Steam just dont understand early access.

27 minutes ago, Horak said:

Nope. If you pledge for beta or modules you get a steam key via email, only way to purchase on steam is full release 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HairyGrenade said:

Nope. If you pledge for beta or modules you get a steam key via email, only way to purchase on steam is full release 

Well, thats wraps that up.

2 hours ago, Horak said:

Not A Early Access title.

3 hours ago, Lightning said:

Hopefully doesnt get released until at least the 2nd module or I would agree, there will be lots of hate towards the game because people on Steam just dont understand early access.

Actually they do. I've been playing games on Steam a long time so I fully understand early access as do all the people who play the games I play. Not to mention i'm more than sure it will be specified that it only a Module and not the full game so the expectations should not be all that high.

Thanks guys! Canada has been good to me so far. The cold weather is an tolerable tradeoff for all the other perks I didn't have at my old place! Shopping and all the restaurants I could care for are practically right next door to my apartment within walking distance. Can't complain!

If you liked that UI from the sneak preview, wait until you see what Archer has been cooking up for the Town Square. I'm excited to see it in action! The video is also looking great. We're just waiting on a couple animation and clothing weight painting tweaks as far as I know, and it will be good to go as soon as we get that back from the animator. Wolf has been working on this for over a month now and he's ready to be done with it and move onto character customization for the Town Square.

So so excited to see everything coming together this past month, and I can't wait to finally jump into the Town Square and meet all of you for the first time using voice chat!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NanoSpace said:

U.I: The new U.I looks really clean and really can't wait to see what the other parts of it look like! Here it is if you haven't seen it already:
5a731971a0ebe_unnamed(1).thumb.jpg.17c4276e28874dbc9d4b3a2dde0565cf.jpg

still not sure if i should try to have 31kg/30kg in my inventory.

16 minutes ago, Shimozukachi said:

still not sure if i should try to have 31kg/30kg in my inventory.

I just realized that's in metrics, but Identity's world and economy is based in the US where we use Imperial units. Although I suppose it will be a choice for the player as an menu option.

• Like 3

As I said before I more can't wait to play it then see the video. (Before in the thread of this that got deleted.) 

I also hope what they show is for both sides of the character. Just to confirm that both genders will be playable in the town square. (As I said before I only worry or wonder if both will make it in goes back to seeing games where the female character model gets added in later in development. I just hope it does not happen here.) 

As I said before I hope these delays didn't affect the release date of when the town square was announced to be released. (If it does then it would be understandable honestly.)  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xzothi said:

As I said before I more can't wait to play it then see the video. (Before in the thread of this that got deleted.) 

I also hope what they show is for both sides of the character. Just to confirm that both genders will be playable in the town square. (As I said before I only worry or wonder if both will make it in goes back to seeing games where the female character model gets added in later in development. I just hope it does not happen here.) 

As I said before I hope these delays didn't affect the release date of when the town square was announced to be released. (If it does then it would be understandable honestly.)  

Hey Xzothi, I'm happy to see concern for this. It's admittedly a pretty lengthy process just to add a single dynamic character model to a game, especially in our case where animations are broken into hundreds of bits that are blended into each other. And then vertex painting has to be done for each body, head, and every individual piece of clothing too. Parts of every clothing mesh also have to be manually culled by our devs so there isn't any clipping or z-fighting when player characters are wearing multiple layers of cloths (t-shirt + jacket). I'm missing a great deal of the process too in this explanation, but I hope it helps indicate why female character models are often added some time after the male character model.

It's a huge task just to get one into the game, and that first character model is used to work out any kinks and bugs with skinning, rigging, inverse kinematics and animation so solutions won't have to be repeated twice for both after they've both been added to the game together.

Much of this work is already done of course for both male and female characters, so if it doesn't make it into the first iteration of town square, it will be a top priority for the first major update after Town Square launch.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Motown said:

Hey Xzothi, I'm happy to see concern for this. It's admittedly a pretty lengthy process just to add a single dynamic character model to a game, especially in our case where animations are broken into hundreds of bits that are blended into each other. And then vertex painting has to be done for each body, head, and every individual piece of clothing too. Parts of every clothing mesh also have to be manually culled by our devs so there isn't any clipping or z-fighting when player characters are wearing multiple layers of cloths (t-shirt + jacket). I'm missing a great deal of the process too in this explanation, but I hope it helps indicate why female character models are often added some time after the male character model.

It's a huge task just to get one into the game, and that first character model is used to work out any kinks and bugs with skinning, rigging, inverse kinematics and animation so solutions won't have to be repeated twice for both after they've both been added to the game together.

Much of this work is already done of course for both male and female characters, so if it doesn't make it into the first iteration of town square, it will be a top priority for the first major update after Town Square launch.

Just at times it feels like excuses to keep holding back the female model.  So I guess it comes down to where the priority is.  Since that is also a factor here.  Sometimes as well it seems they want to bring them both up at the same state as well. If males have more clothing and more stuff at first that is fine. Just why can't the females have temp animations and all of that. An just one set of clothing and update that later?

Also it is something I been sitting on when I have seen a few games in development before.

Here are some game examples I know of positive and negative. Dead Linger was still in a alpha and in development. They never made it to making the female model before they just stopped.  Star Citizen has been on it for what 5 or so years and at the end of this year if all goes well we will finely have the female model. Subnautica was going to have a female model at one point according to the developers. Now I got no clue what happened there. 

Now for the only positive example I know of is Hellion. Yes it did take a bit for them to add the female model but it does not seem it took as long. 

I just hope whatever happens it is more on the side of Hellion when it comes to if the female model gets delayed or, moved out of the first town square release.(A bit longer then I would like but still not too bad.) 

When will the "January" gameplay come to us?

And keep up the good work! I am verry happy to see the Module in march

Edited by James_Miller

2 hours ago, James_Miller said:

When will the "January" gameplay come to us?

And keep up the good work! I am verry happy to see the Module in march

John says that "It's days, not weeks away." so VERY soon

• Like 1
  • ver.1.22474487139 1

heya all and kudos to you MR. Motown and everyone at your team....is there a translation for the words in the middle of the screen below the red lobster t shirt?  also will you be able to play as both sex's during the launch of the town square module on march 21st?

16 minutes ago, tozany4u said:

heya all and kudos to you MR. Motown and everyone at your team....is there a translation for the words in the middle of the screen below the red lobster t shirt?  also will you be able to play as both sex's during the launch of the town square module on march 21st?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

Yes, you'll be able to play as both male and female.

• Like 2

On 02/02/2018 at 4:48 AM, Xzothi said:

Just at times it feels like excuses to keep holding back the female model.  So I guess it comes down to where the priority is.  Since that is also a factor here.  Sometimes as well it seems they want to bring them both up at the same state as well. If males have more clothing and more stuff at first that is fine. Just why can't the females have temp animations and all of that. An just one set of clothing and update that later?

Also it is something I been sitting on when I have seen a few games in development before.

Here are some game examples I know of positive and negative. Dead Linger was still in a alpha and in development. They never made it to making the female model before they just stopped.  Star Citizen has been on it for what 5 or so years and at the end of this year if all goes well we will finely have the female model. Subnautica was going to have a female model at one point according to the developers. Now I got no clue what happened there. 

Now for the only positive example I know of is Hellion. Yes it did take a bit for them to add the female model but it does not seem it took as long. 

I just hope whatever happens it is more on the side of Hellion when it comes to if the female model gets delayed or, moved out of the first town square release.(A bit longer then I would like but still not too bad.) 

Oh my goodness why does this bother you so much? It's only a model which happens to be more annoying to make than the male model. If you were to create someting with the size and scale of identity, would you honestly focus on "ooh crap we must cater to all SJW's" stuff before making the actual game? 

Sorry but your concern is a bit ridiculous imo. I get the immersion argument for it, but we're faaaaar away from release. Y'know, where immersion actually counts.

• Like 1

Lorem ipsum lol, now that reminds me of a website that I forgot which lets you take some text samples but for website making... I think.

And to the person who complains that they're "holding back" female models, jeese. First module isn't even released, and I know it takes more time. 

1 hour ago, misterff1 said:

Oh my goodness why does this bother you so much? It's only a model which happens to be more annoying to make than the male model. If you were to create someting with the size and scale of identity, would you honestly focus on "ooh crap we must cater to all SJW's" stuff before making the actual game? 

Sorry but your concern is a bit ridiculous imo. I get the immersion argument for it, but we're faaaaar away from release. Y'know, where immersion actually counts.

You need to wake up really. Using words just to discredit someone else doesn't do anything for your point.  An you have to realize immersion is a part of the character models.  Are you saying Identity is a world where only the male race lives and roams the world? How would the population even breed if that were even the case? Wouldn't that in it self all go into immersion braking as you put it?

Also how does a basic feature that was suppose to be there have anything to do with social justice warriors?  

2 minutes ago, LordBenji said:

Lorem ipsum lol, now that reminds me of a website that I forgot which lets you take some text samples but for website making... I think.

And to the person who complains that they're "holding back" female models, jeese. First module isn't even released, and I know it takes more time. 

What are you talking about?  I was just wondering if they were and hoping they wouldn't because to me that is a basic feature.  Something at one point they said it would be there. (From when I posted it.) Anyway the developer confirmed they are not holding it back.  

Here is the thing asking questions is how you gain knowledge. When it is a personal question putting reasons behind said question helps understand why you asked in the first place. 

On 01/02/2018 at 11:48 PM, Xzothi said:

Just at times it feels like excuses to keep holding back the female model.

^ That's why I said "holding back" in quotes. Because honestly I don't think they really are. I know the female character will definitely be in the game. But it takes more time to make it. If it isn't ready, it isn't. I know people will complain about it if it's not making its appearance in Town Square. But isn't the modules for testing purpose? Like a glimpse of the game before those will be ported into beta/release.