LuciousTimes

Identity Forum Check-In

I was thinking about who is and isn't active on the forums, but honestly I couldn't really wrapped my head around everyone that is and isn't active. Especially in parts of the forum I'm not very active in. I believe there should be an Identity Check-In. A simple check to see who is and isn't on the forums, where on the forums, and how long they spend on the forums. That way we can rank our most active players and so forth. Just an idea @Paratus and  @Beach_Ball !

• Like 2

I think that it's important to realise that everybody has personal lives and that, although this game is intended to be for ages 18+, let's be honest, at least 1/4 or maybe even half of the community won't be 18 years old and may still be in high school so they may have studying for exams and such to do. As for the over 18 members who work, such as myself (although I'm under 18; 17), we can be very distracted by our work and finally getting an opportunity to go out on the weekends and such mean that we are going to take those chances and, most likely, not jump straight onto Identity.

I've been an active community member within Identity, visiting numerous times, every, single day up until Mid-November when I began working and, since then, I have been unable to be as active as I would have liked to have been.

I'm sure you were/are already aware of this, however, I simply wanted to reiterate that it's not always possible for everybody to contribute by making threads/posts or even by spending time visiting. Plus, some may simply wish to try and forget about the game until it's released as they may feel that by checking back so constantly; it will seem as though it's taking longer.

As for "ranking", I don't think that's very fair considering my above points. We shouldn't praise somebody over everybody else for being the most active community member over everyone else just because they have more time available. Even if it is just for statistical purposes with no reward (as I'm sure you intended by your idea), I still don't think it would be good to rank people like that as everyone is living under different situations and circumstances.

I don't mean to create conflict with you at all, I just think it is unneeded and wouldn't be fair.

36 minutes ago, LuciousTimes said:

@BrianHamilton Under that mindset, you must also disagree with the entire idea of the Leaderboard?

Actually, yes. I disagree with it. Although, I do like the idea of the "Days Won" by gaining the most likes as I feel that's a great way to encourage members to answer people's questions and support others within the community, I just disagree with the idea of ranking people based on activity and post-count.

Although, I can see that of course you would support the Leaderboard, being that you are on it.

41 minutes ago, BrianHamilton said:

Actually, yes. I disagree with it. Although, I do like the idea of the "Days Won" by gaining the most likes as I feel that's a great way to encourage members to answer people's questions and support others within the community, I just disagree with the idea of ranking people based on activity and post-count.

Although, I can see that of course you would support the Leaderboard, being that you are on it.

I believe that if you have time for the game then you deserve to be credited for it. We all have things to attend to, I have two children. However, if you make time and are willing to make Identity a priority then Identity should honor that by honoring you...and I know they are aware of that concept. That's why they built the Leaderboard.

Edited by LuciousTimes

48 minutes ago, LuciousTimes said:

I believe that if you have time for the game then you deserve to be credited for it. We all have things to attend to, I have two children. However, if you make time and are willing to make Identity a priority then Identity should honor that by honoring you...and I know they are aware of that concept. That's why they built the Leaderboard.

The devs didn't build that leader board but actually that came with the software they are using for the site and it was added with an update. They just never deactivated it after that update.

13 minutes ago, LuckyDuck said:

The devs didn't build that leader board but actually that came with the software they are using for the site and it was added with an update. They just never deactivated it after that update.

I still would believe that for them to implement it and speak of it, that they must have some sort of reason outside of the fact that it came with the software.

6 hours ago, LuciousTimes said:

I was thinking about who is and isn't active on the forums, but honestly I couldn't really wrapped my head around everyone that is and isn't active. Especially in parts of the forum I'm not very active in. I believe there should be an Identity Check-In. A simple check to see who is and isn't on the forums, where on the forums, and how long they spend on the forums. That way we can rank our most active players and so forth. Just an idea @Paratus and  @Beach_Ball !

The thing with this is people will not to be on-top of the leaderboard. This can lead to the rules of, "Ask for Likes. Likes are given to those for contributing useful information in a discussion," "Cross Post. Cross-posting makes it difficult for users using the search function to find relevant information, and may be considered spam," and, "Create or operate an account with the intention of solely boosting or supporting another user's reputation, poll votes, or opinions," to be broken.

People will want people to like their content to boost their profile on the leaderboard. They will also try to make more posts which can make the search bar harder to find things. Also can lead to people making accounts to boost themselves and/or their friends. It is possible for these rules to not be violated, but at the same time it is possible for these to be violated, which isn't worth the time to implement if rules can be broken.

I actually agree with the idea of seeing the members online and the forum they are viewing, just disagree with the leaderboard idea. This can lead to active members meeting each other and establishing friendships and/or connections to make Identity a even better game for roleplay.

Edited by Villasenor
  • Like 2

I honestly don't think a system will this wil be fair. I mean, what if someone who had been really active in the past, gets in an accident or something else happens that prevents him/her to be active for a long time? Will he/she then loose his rank for something that clearly wasn't his or her fault? Does he/she then have to contact the support team and ask for them to maintain his rank? I mean, honestly, it's just a forum and I don't really believe this to be an efficient ranking system for any forum whatsoever

7 minutes ago, patrick1333 said:

I honestly don't think a system will this wil be fair. I mean, what if someone who had been really active in the past, gets in an accident or something else happens that prevents him/her to be active for a long time? Will he/she then loose his rank for something that clearly wasn't his or her fault? Does he/she then have to contact the support team and ask for them to maintain his rank? I mean, honestly, it's just a forum and I don't really believe this to be an efficient ranking system for any forum whatsoever

So, you also don't agree with the concept of the Leaderboard?

6 minutes ago, LuciousTimes said:

Not really. It's a forum, not a "who posts the most" game. I think a system similar to reddit (karma points), which this forum already has is more than enough. And maybe instead of having a leaderboard, very active and contributing forum members could recieve awards that remain permanent on their profile as a showcase of their contributions. I already saw someone had the "most likes" reward. The leaderboard thing is uneccecary, at least in my personal opinion. But that's just me, maybe it could be a viable option if done correctly somehow :)

3 hours ago, patrick1333 said:

I agree!

3 hours ago, LuciousTimes said:

At the end of the day we are a roleplay game. The roleplay this game is going for is not mean't to be competitive. The developers are focusing so much on immersion and that ability to share stories and develop a character. I feel a leaderboard doesn't fit this project and isn't necessary to add.