157C

SWAT Training, Gear, and Deployment

Hey all, I haven't been on here for a while but let me introduce myself. My name is Chris, and since the Kickstarter of this game, I have wanted to be a SWAT Team Leader/Trainer. Why may you ask? I've played a lot of Garry's Mod and other RP intensive games, and all the more common I see people running in guns blazing, dying, or just looking completely idiotic. There would be no tactics, no gear for tactics (as it may not be supplied by the game or server) and just idiots running around shooting everything. While I know for a fact the idiots running around shooting everything won't be a problem, I still have a problem with the thought of people not knowing what they're doing and completely screwing up a situation. Let me start off by saying that I am familiar with how SWAT gets deployed, so let me explain how that will work in case people are confused or unfamiliar with how it's going to work. When a standoff or dangerous situation occurs, a SWAT van will be deployed outside the situation area. There, on duty or off-duty police officers who are a part of the SWAT division will go to the van and "suit up". No one is a permanent SWAT member and runs around with military grade weapons, you're a cop when SWAT isn't needed.

Here are my questions for the developers and people who are familiar with this information. 

• Will there be someone whose job is to specifically train members on SWAT? Training will include how to properly use certain gear, how to properly breach and clear a room, how to handle hostages, as well as how to handle certain specific situations.
  • Will the police headquarters have a shooting range, as well as will there be a location for a killhouse? For those who don't know, a killhouse is a specific location designed for training SWAT members on breaching and clearing, as well as to practice shooting. It's literally a house made to be breached and shot in.
  • What kind of gear will SWAT have available to them? Will it be anything like the game SWAT 4? I bring up SWAT 4 because it's one of my favorite games of all time, and is highly regarded as one of the best tactical shooters of all time. I would like to know if a good amount of gear will be available to SWAT. Specifically: Flashbangs, CS Gas, Stinger Grenades, C2 Breaching Charges, Breaching Shotguns, Optiwands, Drones, Door Wedges, Tasers, Pepper-Ball guns, Less-Lethal Shotguns, and lastly the ability to pick locked doors.
  • Will members of SWAT have their own private communication system, where a team-leader can communicate with his squad, vice-versa, and with each other?
  • Will the police and SWAT have access to cameras located inside situation areas to get a view on the hostiles, the layout, and possible hostages? Will they also be able to get a blueprint of the map/situation area?

These are all my questions I can think of right now. I realize there is a lot, and I don't expect a dev to answer all of these, although that would be amazing. If anyone at all is able to give me an answer that is confirmed by the devs up to now I would very much appreciate it. I take this job seriously and I want to have a lot of fun with it, thank you all for reading!

Edited by 157C
  • Like 1

Actually, in current training every officer is rapidly becoming a SWAT officer.  After Columbine there was a lot  of tactical research that showed SWAT response time was making it useless for anything but high-risk warrant service.  At Columbine the only officer who even got a shot at the villains was the SRO, who engaged them at long range, stopping them from reaching students fleeing the school.  By the time SWAT was suited up and ready to go Kliebold and Dylan were dead.  At North Hollywood line officers engaged the two robbers but were forced to break into a gun store and steal AR-15s to effectively suppress the bad guys.  SWAT made an amazing effort to arrive, showing up at +18:00 from start of incident, and were instrumental in rescuing wounded and stopping the issue, but even then they were not fully equipped, lacking much of specialized tactical gear.

In my own service 9/11 had many officers grabbing whatever they could find and carrying it in their cars until the official acquisition channels could fight through public resistance and budget issues to get us SWAT weapons.  For nearly a year I carried a MAS 49/56 until it was replaced by a M16A1 then an M4.  By then we had adopted a four and go policy.  When faced with a active shooter the first officer on scene sets up a muster point, and then on arrival of the fourth officer they go in as a stick.  A lot of times one of us would be a SWAT officer, but many of us, including the reservists and some of the forensic people who were officers, plus detectives, had the complete SWAT training, we just did not have the continuation training which makes SWAT so good.

As for training, the best there is in my experience is not a trainer but your own sergeant who runs your patrol stick through building and tactical during training sessions.  When you take active shooter and building entry you may never see the guys you train with again, but when you train with your district teams you know for sure they will be by your side when it gets real.

• Like 1

- Being a SWAT trainer wont be a thing for official, you could RP it on a custom server. On official you basically do training as a tutorial.
- Yes Police headquarters will have a shooting range. Not 100% about the kill-house, but i assume so, part of the training.
- As for gear, cameras for under doors, standard swat issued firearms like shotguns, mp5, m4's, glocks.. tasers, flashbangs, etc.
- Unknown, usually i believe with swat situations like the bank heist, it puts you and the robbers into some sort of a separate instance for balance purposes and 
- Unknown
- Unknown
- Notes: Swat officers will be normal officers until called upon a situation that requires SWAT. So for instance a bank heist happens, if you're a SWAT officer, you will get a notification that tells you that there's a bank heist going on, so you drive your cruiser over to the bank, and load up at the swat van that appears in front of the bank, and somehow get brought into another instance with the robbers and the swat, resolve the situation however that happens, then you go back to regular duty. The reasoning behind this is so you don't have police walking around with M4's whilst on their normal police duty, a balance thing. There might be an option to turn this stuff off in a community server.

Hope this helped!

I am happy the Patrol Officers won't be running around armed to the teeth and heists will be instanced.  In a research mud I ran in college we had issues with police and stores.  There was so many criminals that basically the bank was being robbed every 15 seconds.  Crooks waiting in line to rob the bank or stores would engage any officer or civilian who entered the street sections around the bank.  Civilians and cops started basically carrying zombie killer hardware just to go to cast a vote or craft.   The issue was that a bad guy could commit far more anti social acts that enforcers could catch, and there was basically no reason tone a civilian since you were dead meat five areas from your door.

7 hours ago, Narc said:

- Being a SWAT trainer wont be a thing for official, you could RP it on a custom server. On official you basically do training as a tutorial.
- Yes Police headquarters will have a shooting range. Not 100% about the kill-house, but i assume so, part of the training.
- As for gear, cameras for under doors, standard swat issued firearms like shotguns, mp5, m4's, glocks.. tasers, flashbangs, etc.
- Unknown, usually i believe with swat situations like the bank heist, it puts you and the robbers into some sort of a separate instance for balance purposes and 
- Unknown
- Unknown
- Notes: Swat officers will be normal officers until called upon a situation that requires SWAT. So for instance a bank heist happens, if you're a SWAT officer, you will get a notification that tells you that there's a bank heist going on, so you drive your cruiser over to the bank, and load up at the swat van that appears in front of the bank, and somehow get brought into another instance with the robbers and the swat, resolve the situation however that happens, then you go back to regular duty. The reasoning behind this is so you don't have police walking around with M4's whilst on their normal police duty, a balance thing. There might be an option to turn this stuff off in a community server.

Hope this helped!

Thanks for some of the info! I appreciate it! I know about the SWAT being normal officers, it's in my original post, but thanks for confirming! I hope I can get the rest of these questions answered!

On 11/16/2017 at 4:24 PM, 157C said:

Hey all, I haven't been on here for a while but let me introduce myself. My name is Chris, and since the Kickstarter of this game, I have wanted to be a SWAT Team Leader/Trainer. Why may you ask? I've played a lot of Garry's Mod and other RP intensive games, and all the more common I see people running in guns blazing, dying, or just looking completely idiotic. There would be no tactics, no gear for tactics (as it may not be supplied by the game or server) and just idiots running around shooting everything. While I know for a fact the idiots running around shooting everything won't be a problem, I still have a problem with the thought of people not knowing what they're doing and completely screwing up a situation. Let me start off by saying that I am familiar with how SWAT gets deployed, so let me explain how that will work in case people are confused or unfamiliar with how it's going to work. When a standoff or dangerous situation occurs, a SWAT van will be deployed outside the situation area. There, on duty or off-duty police officers who are a part of the SWAT division will go to the van and "suit up". No one is a permanent SWAT member and runs around with military grade weapons, you're a cop when SWAT isn't needed.

Here are my questions for the developers and people who are familiar with this information. 

• Will there be someone whose job is to specifically train members on SWAT? Training will include how to properly use certain gear, how to properly breach and clear a room, how to handle hostages, as well as how to handle certain specific situations.
  • Will the police headquarters have a shooting range, as well as will there be a location for a killhouse? For those who don't know, a killhouse is a specific location designed for training SWAT members on breaching and clearing, as well as to practice shooting. It's literally a house made to be breached and shot in.
  • What kind of gear will SWAT have available to them? Will it be anything like the game SWAT 4? I bring up SWAT 4 because it's one of my favorite games of all time, and is highly regarded as one of the best tactical shooters of all time. I would like to know if a good amount of gear will be available to SWAT. Specifically: Flashbangs, CS Gas, Stinger Grenades, C2 Breaching Charges, Breaching Shotguns, Optiwands, Drones, Door Wedges, Tasers, Pepper-Ball guns, Less-Lethal Shotguns, and lastly the ability to pick locked doors.
  • Will members of SWAT have their own private communication system, where a team-leader can communicate with his squad, vice-versa, and with each other?
  • Will the police and SWAT have access to cameras located inside situation areas to get a view on the hostiles, the layout, and possible hostages? Will they also be able to get a blueprint of the map/situation area?

These are all my questions I can think of right now. I realize there is a lot, and I don't expect a dev to answer all of these, although that would be amazing. If anyone at all is able to give me an answer that is confirmed by the devs up to now I would very much appreciate it. I take this job seriously and I want to have a lot of fun with it, thank you all for reading!

GMOD as in DarkRP? Or what cause I find that funny.

Noice

Edited by YouKnowBro

1 hour ago, YouKnowBro said:

GMOD as in DarkRP? Or what cause I find that funny.

Noice

Garry's Mod is just an example, not a good one, just the only one that I thought of at the time. Doesn't make my claims any less true.

• ver.1.22474487139 1